Default Post support for beam

I was told by someone, that this metal support post (see photo) was installed upside down. He stated that the threaded part sould be at the bottom, adjusted on the footer, then buried by the concrete slab / floor, of the basement. I did observed a sticker on it that had no load information or whether up or down was proper. (I know it is not properly attached)

Any thoughts or information on this "up or down" issue?

Post was under a floor beam of a single family home w/ basement.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Post support for beam

That is a temporary screw jack and is not allowed as permanent support.
    And personally, if I were to use one, I would have the screw at the top where I could access it easily and moisture levels at the bottom would not be rusting up the thing.
    Of course, that would be if I were to use one
    I think they are great, when used within the proper parameters.

Hector Acevedo Guest

We call that a jack post. It's a temporary post used to jack or level the floor or structure. Once the floor or wall has been adjusted it's replaced with a permanent post. I have never seen one installed with the threads in the down position. And I would not inbed it in concrete.

If it is a single piece 3" column it can be used as a permanent support, if the threads are not covered by the concrete at the bottom they are supposed to be disabled to prevent tampering. It is the sectional 2.5" telescoping columns that are not allowed in the US as permanent supports, my understanding is that they are allowed in Canada though.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    If it is a single piece 3" column it can be used as a permanent support, if the threads are not covered by the concrete at the bottom they are supposed to be disabled to prevent tampering. It is the sectional 2.5" telescoping columns that are not allowed in the US as permanent supports, my understanding is that they are allowed in Canada though.
    In Canada, they would allow you to use a pile of Stab-Lok breaker panels, mounted on their sides, to hold up the floor, but it's hard to find that many surplus panels, because they are mostly still being used as breaker panels. They have plenty of wood, though, so you never see screw jacks, either.

To the OP, look at the way the post was manufactured. I see a crimp in the end of the pipe to hold the threaded end. That makes it a cheap temporary jackpost, IMO. I just describe it and advise a repair to a permanent post, fastened top and bottom.

Last edited by John Kogel; 03-17-2011 at 08:07 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I normally don't get too excited by telescoping ("telescopic") columns, but this seems a *bit* extreme...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Some of these posts are rated for permanent applications. The top and bottoms must be secured and the screw post be tack welding to prevent it from being turned.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL