Default HIGH EFFICIENTCY FURNACE VENT PIPES SCREENS

hey all

do you recommend or are they required, furnace vent pipe screens to keep the animal word out???

i do

cvf

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: HIGH EFFICIENTCY FURNACE VENT PIPES SCREENS

I recommend them, some units like Goodman come with them. Some Manufacturers say not to. Have to check each brand. I used to keep track but don't anymore.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I was a Rheem Dealer for 18 years and the answer is no. Screens cause condensation to freeze on the exhaust and the intake gets plugged with dirt and other debris. I did provide a 2" piece of pipe with a cap on it to install during the off season. It keeps the birds and bees out.

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hagman View Post
    I was a Rheem Dealer for 18 years and the answer is no. Screens cause condensation to freeze on the exhaust and the intake gets plugged with dirt and other debris. I did provide a 2" piece of pipe with a cap on it to install during the off season. It keeps the birds and bees out.
    If it does not come with a screen,do not install one,leave as installed

DAN

sounds like there is a yes and no there--not a positive NO- but if we use the same vent for ac and heat whats up. how can a screen cause the problems you state

cvf

harry

stoves come with a tip device, but they don't install them. but that is wrong and client doesn't know that. goodman i believe says install one,as stated above-- i will investigate that.

combustion air vents have screens--why not the furnace

cvf

Harry - never said I install a screen, I said NO! to screens during the heating season. The cap was for during the summer when the furnace was off. Only for those who were woried about it which was a select few.

Charlie, I meant a possitive No to the screens.

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

Combustion air vents that have screens don't have the controls like a furnace. A screen on a combustion air intake can get clogged and cause problems in the furnace, there is two pressure switches, one for the inducer and the other for the secondary heat exchanger for a plugged drain. If the intake air gets plugged the pressure swithes may not make and shut off the burner. The combustion air with screens you are talking about are usually for an 80% efficent furnace or lees that is in a closet that meeds combustion air provided. I have found and clean out birds in the intake and exhaust pipe before and thats what happens. Sound like a case for screens but it is still better without them.

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa