Thread: Bathroom Window

James Duffin Guest

Default Bathroom Window

How far does a window have to be from a bathtub so it is not required to be safety glass? Section R308.4 Hazardous locations does not seem to cover that the best I can tell.

My mom wants a window in her bathroom on the wall perpendicular to the tub and I think there is not enough room. When she gets out of the tub she would be looking out the window.

I think if I put the bottom of the window 60" high I will be okay but she wants to be able to see out and she is 5' tall.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Bathroom Window

(underlining and bold are mine)
    R308.4 Hazardous locations.
    The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of glazing:
    5. Glazing in doors and enclosures for hot tubs, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, bathtubs and showers. Glazing in any part of a building wall enclosing these compartments where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) measured vertically above any standing or walking surface.

Once outside the "enclosure" for the tub or shower, the above no longer applies.

Sounds like you are describing a location which is "outside" the "enclosure" area.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

That's what I got out of the section you posted but it seems that getting out of a tub with wet feet would be just as bad as standing in a tub with wet feet. I'm going to install safety glass because I don't want my 80 year old mom getting hurt anymore than necessary if she slips. Thanks for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    That's what I got out of the section you posted but it seems that getting out of a tub with wet feet would be just as bad as standing in a tub with wet feet. I'm going to install safety glass because I don't want my 80 year old mom getting hurt anymore than necessary if she slips. Thanks for the answer.
    She's 80? Better make that frosted safety glass.

Sorry, Mom, I couldn't stop myself.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

James,
    Since its your Mum and 80 at that, any glass in bathroom should be tempered safety just in-case. Always give Mom what they want, just make it safe.