Scott Medlin Guest

Default Float switch for primary A/C drain?

Hi all,

I'm a new member and newbee inspector. I found this uninsulated primary drain line on my first inspection. Mold is growing on it and there is also an opening in the line that appears to be on the wrong side of the trap. It is in a home built in 1999- all the equipment looks to be original. The air handler is a couple of feet off the ground so there is no auxiliary pan or secondary drain line that I can see.

I assume a float switch in the primary drain line would be the proper arrangement but I could not find one. Disassembly required to find it? Advanced thanks for your help.

Scott

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Float switch for primary A/C drain?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Medlin View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a new member and newbee inspector. I found this uninsulated primary drain line on my first inspection. Mold is growing on it and there is also an opening in the line that appears to be on the wrong side of the trap. It is in a home built in 1999- all the equipment looks to be original. The air handler is a couple of feet off the ground so there is no auxiliary pan or secondary drain line that I can see.

I assume a float switch in the primary drain line would be the proper arrangement but I could not find one. Disassembly required to find it? Advanced thanks for your help.

Scott
    Not require at that time. You can recommend they add one.

Captain

Scott Medlin Guest

Mitchell,

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated! So, go ahead and make the recommendation but only write it up if it's found in new construction?

The float switch can be recommended but is not required my most AHJ in our area. I know that Allen does not require them. You can recommend them, but be careful in telling someone they are required. You could be paying for it.

As far as the mold it is usually found on the trap due to it condensating or possibly not draining as needed. You might also have a issue with an air leak in the system which is allow loss of air into the closet.

Scott, the vent is on the correct side of the trap, it should be down stream of the trap. Think of it just like a sink trap, the vent is in the wall downstream of the trap. The blue plugs in your photo show where the secondary drain line or shutoff switch should attach.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Scott Medlin Guest

Thanks again guys. One more question. I understand the vent is on the correct side of the trap but what about the vent being open in the closet like that- dosen't that allow sewer gases in? Should it terminate outside? Thanks for the help.

Scott, the vent only vents the condensate drain line to it's point of disposal to another trapped drain. No sewer gas should be present if disposal is to a trapped drain.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Scott,

If you take a look through the return air vents on the wall below these type of set-ups, you'll see there is a trap also on the drain line that the condensate line is terminating into. (Most of the time I should say)

Scott Medlin Guest

Thanks again guys- big help. Mystery solved.