bruce audretsch Guest

Default Pos-Loc Sprinkler Piping

Yesterday, I saw a very flimsy looking system of sprinkler piping.
    It looks like 1-1/4" conduit, with clips holding it into the fittings.
    The owner called it "pos-loc".
    Does anyone have any experience with it? It is safe and reliable? The only references I could find to it on the web were companies mentioning that they had been hired to rip it out and replace it.
    Any information would be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Well, it turns out that the spelling I was given by the sprinkler company that installed the system was incorrect.
    It's called Poz-Loc.

Poz-Lok is a brand of pipe and pipe fittings sold for use in fire sprinkler systems in residential and commercial buildings beginning in 1990. The plaintiff class representative in this action, Foothill/De Anza Community College District in California, owns a building that contains Poz-Lok pipe that allegedly failed. The plaintiff class representative has brought this action on behalf of a class of owners of buildings with fire sprinkler systems containing Poz-Lok pipe and alleges that Poz-Lok pipes have defective weld seams which lack sufficient zinc galvanizing. The class representative alleges that Poz-Lok pipe is prone to premature corrosion initiating at or near the weld seam, eventually resulting in failure, e.g., leaking, of the pipe. The class representative also alleges that Defendants knew of the alleged defect but concealed it from the owners of buildings in which Poz-Lok pipe was installed. Defendants deny that Poz-Lok pipe is defective or leads to premature corrosion, and deny that they concealed the existence of this alleged defect. Defendants contend that alleged leaks in pipes have been traced to other factors, including faulty installation or maintenance, and microbes in certain water supplies. The Court has not ruled on the merits of plaintiffs' claims and allegations or defendants' responses and defenses.

The above is from the Poz-Loc website, which goes on to explain that, if your piping leaked, a fund had been set up to help cover the costs.
    Unfortunately, the period for compensation expired in 2009 or 2010.

Such is life.

Just a word for clarifification-
    If you have Poz-Lok piping, the settlement, as I read it calls for full payment, up to $30
    per foot, for six years after the installation date, or settlement date. Then, the amount is reduced 10% each year, which puts us just past the eligible time period. The settlement is scheduled to be in force 'til 2019, by my interpretation.
    If you have a leak in your piping, it might be worth your while to file a claim.
    Good Luck
    Bruce