Default Bob, can you tell me what this part is called?

This is a part that I haven't seen as of yet. It appears to be a spacer of some sort and is installed where the vent passes close to wood (sheathing). I attempted to research the tag but was unsuccessful. Additionally, it is installed upside-down. What is the significance or ramifications to its placement; up or down? Also, there were no clearance requirements listed.
    thank you

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Bob, can you tell me what this part is called?

Here, I fixed it for ya.

But the point is, as JP is pointing out, that it is installed with the up arrows pointing down, so I thought I'd better make a point of pointing that out.

I would think the only two reasons for installing it upside down are : 1. using it in a way that was not intended by the manufacturer, or 2. installing it upside down through simple ignorance, which would still be wrong. Right?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Kogel; 03-20-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: add pic
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Nice...thanks for that. It did look a little funny, and hard to read. If for whatever reason HI doesnt work out, you have a great future in photo editing.

Question Re: Bob, can you tell me what this part is called?

Marc, its been a loooong time since I ran into any Marco units but I think this might be a radiant shield to the rafters such as a 'Roof Jack Shield'. Reaching back into to dark areas for this reply ;-). I know Marco had several round terminations and one was for a flush mount on a chase top that had a similar sleeve that extended down for a telescopic fit of the upper section of chimney. If I run into an old manual I'll let you know. It may be in that binder of terminations I bought from Dale. He has catalogued dozens of termination manuals into a compendium.
    Any topside pics?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Marc had the photo right, you turned it upside down.

Look at the main photo, you will see the UP arrows are pointing down (I am, of course, presuming that Marc is in the attic, with the truss top chord or rafter showing, and roof sheathing shown on top of that, which all indicates that the top of the photo is "up" even though the UP arrows are pointing down).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Here ya go + one more. I couldnt get a better pic of that piece because of the limited space in that attic. Jerry is correct, JK was just helping put the image into perspective so you wont look foolish looking at it upside down on the computer screen.

Last edited by Marc M; 03-20-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Marc, its been a loooong time since I ran into any Marco units but I think this might be a radiant shield to the rafters such as a 'Roof Jack Shield'. Reaching back into to dark areas for this reply ;-). I know Marco had several round terminations and one was for a flush mount on a chase top that had a similar sleeve that extended down for a telescopic fit of the upper section of chimney. If I run into an old manual I'll let you know. It may be in that binder of terminations I bought from Dale. He has catalogued dozens of termination manuals into a compendium.
    Any topside pics?
    Lennox bought out Marco a few years back (1996?) around the time they bought Whitfield as well (I think they were on a hearth buying spree).

Lennox continued to sell the RJS-10D "roof joist shield" under their own mark, and a quick search turns up a few listings for it such as this one. Perhaps if you have any Lennox product spec sheets from the late 90's you'll find it there.

The rating for this shield states it reduces the 18" clearance minimums to a 8"(ceiling) and 6" (wall) clearances. Your photo doesn't show the required clearance.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/AES/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Cool Re: Bob, can you tell me what this part is called?

William, I think you're reading from an ad at the top of a page not applicable to this component. DVL pipe is double walled close clearance stove pipe connector--not listed chimney.

I am more concerned over the immediate fire hazard presented by the improper installation of the chimney as seen in the photo at the termination. The chimney does not protrude sufficiently through the chase top. The cooling air intake is below the chase top thus reducing system cooling while raising design temps. The chimney should protrude the distance prescribed in the listed instructions, have a storm collar to prevent rain entry and have a chase top hole the size presribed by the listing. If the hole is too big, such as this one, you can get rain infiltration, animals, which can build combustible nests against the hot components, etc. Too small and you reduce the cooling of the system.

The chimney is cocked at an angle, thus raising another red flag.

The firestop assy. is improperly mounted and supported. There is no fireblocking per code requirements. The air kit flex duct is improperly routed, penetrates the fireblocking as flex instead of rigid duct, and is above the intake point of the firebox. This whole fireplace should probably get a Level II with a Level III inspection prior to continued use.

When you see one stupid thing, you're bound to find more....

What's that material all over the termination louvers? It looks more like dust bunnies than ash/creosote. Are there signs of heat discoloration and rust indicative of a possible chimney fire? With such a large gap in the chase top, I'd get a peek inside to see of the chase framing isn't charred or pyrolyzed.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Bob, Marc, and other's interested,

At least as of 2007/2008 it was still possible to acquire legacy data, technical information, detail, and reproduced limited owner's manuals materials for Marco Mfg'd equipment via LennoxHP by addressing such technical information requests via email (complete with data plate info) to the (at that time) designated "contact" for same at Lennox (successor purchaser back sometime between 96ish and 2002ish), which according my old notes was:
    angie.parish@lennoxhp.com As I recall (and my notes aren't all that clear) having all the information from the plate and several attached photos were required to get reproduced owner's manual type information with disclaimer.

The followup (newer) Marco DV (sidewall) recall (CPSC pre-acquisition by Lennox) site also still provides the same technical resource email address, although it may not have been updated subsequently to its having been last established (2005ish) it is here:
    Marco Fireplace Company

I believe I had at that time confirmed that Lennox stopped supplying any proprietary PARTS designated as for marco equipment cross-referenced about or prior the same time of my last notes, which were last edited sometime in late 2007/early 08 also, that no new production would take place, and all old production was long since disposed of, of "marco" branded or indicated parts, proprietary or OEM, outside of a gas valve (propane IIRC) recall and a side/wall vented DV recall replacement program still.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.