mathew stouffer Guest

Default Re: Straw bale construction

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Anyone familiar with straw bale construction and inspection of these types of homes.
    Check with this guy.. He built his own. We did an Inspect A House at his place last summer. It's an interesting type of construction.

Acuspect Home Inspections
    Home Inspection Arizona, Vail, Tucson, Rio Rico, Tubac, Green Valley, Sahuarita, Corona De Tucson
    Robert Kille
    520-237-8965
    bob@acuspect.com

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

mathew stouffer Guest

thank you

Rat nests with a roof.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Rat nests with a roof.
    No kidding! As well as bugs, mold, fire, big bad wolves.
    Or a lawsuit waiting for a defendant.

Around here there is controversy about whether the stucco should be waterproof or should be allowed to "breathe". Two I inspected had elastomeric paint, the other I inspected was built by a "professional straw bale builder" and had unpainted (colored) stucco. I don't know the answer so I decline to inspect them anymore.

Both sides have good arguments but I am betting one is wrong. Maybe we'll know in a few years.

It can be a perfectly good method of building one of the most energy efficient structures there is, and is as structurally, and otherwise sound as traditional construction...IF it is understood and done right. Even the best methods and materials can be screwed up if not done correctly. There have been thousands of buildings constructed world wide for hundreds of years. There are records of it going back thousands of years.
    This is probably one of the best sites for the most comprehensive information and education there is: | StrawBale.com
    Also see: Straw-bale construction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brent Lerwill, Coos Bay, Oregon