Default InterNACHI welcomes Michael Casey and Kevin O'Malley to our staff.

Welcome aboard gentlemen! It is going to be very helpful for me to work with two of the biggest leaders in the inspection industry.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Default Re: InterNACHI welcomes Michael Casey and Kevin O'Malley to our staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    Welcome aboard gentlemen! It is going to be very helpful for me to work with two of the biggest leaders in the inspection industry.

Thanks for the info.. I been trying to decide if I was going , or not going to go to their Oct event. As a non nacho member non-nicki worshiper, now that it's official they agree with nicko about non members,. and are now going to drink the nacho kool aid and help nick spread the lies, name calling and bashing about me, and the Professional Home Inspectors Association I choose to associate with to the public, you helped me decide.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 03-24-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Don't know, don't care about any/all of the past, present or future disputes related to InterNACHI and any other HI association.

What I object to is InterNACHI (or anyone else for that matter) using this board as their Press Release and/or marketing vehicle..... outside of their paid banners. Leave it off/out of the posts/threads !

What I object to is InterNACHI (or anyone else for that matter) using this board as their Press Release
    Then maybe you shouldn't be on a message board called "Inspection News."

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

I see nothing wrong with a communications director of an association notifying inspectors of new hire's in a forum section about Associations.

David Nice Guest

Lightbulb Re: InterNACHI welcomes Michael Casey and Kevin O'Malley to our staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Thanks for the info.. I been trying to decide if I was going , or not going to go to their Oct event. As a non nacho member non-nicki worshiper, now that it's official they agree with nicko about non members,. and are now going to drink the nacho kool aid and help nick spread the lies, name calling and bashing about me, and the Professional Home Inspectors Association I choose to associate with to the public, you helped me decide.
    Why Dan. One would think that you would be pleased that these getting on board with InterNACHI would help turn it into an organization more to your liking. Unfortunately it appear that your career as a "non nacho" provocateur forces you to now take aim at people you previously admired and were associated with (in a fashion). It makes one wonder just who is the real "Kool-Aid" drinker.

Thew truth is that anyone who knows Nick, also knows how much he is all about helping home inspectors. Despite what some people see as his short comings, he has worked tirelessly to bring things to the inspection industry that many don't have the guts to even attempt.

Bringing these guys on board only speaks to the continued commitment to offer the best to inspectors. So Dan, take some more of whatever it is that you are smoking, drinking or sniffing, and move on.

It's all about the shekels.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

I agree with David, I see nothing wrong with this announcement.

"It's all about the shekels."

Yes, and nearly everything is about the money.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nice View Post
    Why Dan. One would think that you would be pleased that these getting on board with InterNACHI would help turn it into an organization more to your liking. Unfortunately it appear that your career as a "non nacho" provocateur forces you to now take aim at people you previously admired and were associated with (in a fashion). It makes one wonder just who is the real "Kool-Aid" drinker.

Thew truth is that anyone who knows Nick, also knows how much he is all about helping home inspectors. Despite what some people see as his short comings, he has worked tirelessly to bring things to the inspection industry that many don't have the guts to even attempt.

Bringing these guys on board only speaks to the continued commitment to offer the best to inspectors. So Dan, take some more of whatever it is that you are smoking, drinking or sniffing, and move on.
    You make it sound like I care what nicko does. truth is I could care less. All I stated was, with his announcment I now know if I send my $s or refer some one to those guys I now know that they now share the same business policies as nicko.
    With hundreds of other options to get good home inspector education and continued continued ed. would you send your hard earned $s to some one that lies about you and your association certification requirements, and tells the public you are a dumb stuipid scumbag?

For years all we heard from nicko bragging the only way to get your all your home inspector training and top knoch state approved ce on-line , [per him it's stupid to spend your hard earned $s sitting in a classrom] all one needs to do is get his state approved on-line training from him and his professional instructors.
    Now he announces he teamed up with experienced home inspectors trainers, that told us the only way to learn was by classroom training. These same guys are now going to teach nickos instructors how to teach.
    Who's on 1st base ?

I would think if you really wanted to defend this announcment you would get involved with this conversation.
    Please join me in welcoming Michael Casey and Kevin O'Malley to InterNACHI's staff. - InterNACHI Message Board

Last edited by Dan Harris; 03-26-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Since the OP really doesn't have anything to do with ethics, standards, licensing, legislation regarding Associations...I'm guessing DH is saying the "announcement" may have been more appropriately referenced in either the "education" section, or perhaps "Inspection News From Around the Net"??Somehow I suspect C & O isn't ceasing to exist as an entity, nor the individuals exclusively "on staff"/direct employees, but perhaps "contractor" employment for a specific purpose?

Such as INACHI contracting, or becoming a Client of COA for "education managment" services? Somehow being a client of COA doesn't equate (to me) to a statement claiming two principals/individuals of COA being "on staff".

Taking advantage of their own accepted credentials and experience in training and evaluating other InterNACHI "trainers" or "educators" of "inspectors" for CE. Independant evaluation and training, or "staff", which is it?

AFAIK CO&A simply sold their ASHI school interest to ASHI and the 2007 entity continues to exist (according to the website). Construction Defects Claims Consultant Home Inspection Disputes - Casey, O'Malley Associates

It seems "gromicko" and "lisa" is/are contradicting what these two well respected professionals say themselves, even on their most recently updated web site. Found it interesting how some ill-addressed (lacking the www) links to their own (caseyomalleyassociates.com) site redirect to "gromicko's" bestinspector.com pages! Wonder if their website constant (our host) is aware (example reference made and link on first page of discussion DH linked to).

Their own web site under education management, lists "International Association of Certified Home Inspectiors" as a "Client", included with a list of OTHER CLIENTS. Home Inspection Education Management AFAIK, REcampus is still functioning and hosting CE COA on-line courses.

So...As usual, I'm doubting the veracity of "Lisa's" post(s) and "post title(S)" again. Give us some "Missouri action" i.e. "show me", as in "where is the BEEF".

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-26-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    Then maybe you shouldn't be on a message board called "Inspection News."

Well here's an urgent inspection news update, directly from the Nacho Enquire .
    I just read that Joey, the pitbull. Farceanna nickies current ed director is Po'd, and he's not going to listen to those guys.
    He rambled on and on about how great he is along with some other incoherant ramblings, then stated and he's going to take them on in NY with nickos blessings.

With these statements [ Let either try and "certify" me, control me, or stop me] and
    [NACHI is like herding cats. I suspect these two wont survive here without total control. That they will not get.]
    It looks like there will be a shoot out at the nacho corral any day now.

Stay tuned to this channel for updated inspection news as it happens

Last edited by Dan Harris; 03-27-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    www.inspectaz.com

David Nice Guest

Thumbs down Re: InterNACHI welcomes Michael Casey and Kevin O'Malley to our staff.

Well here's an urgent inspection news update...<snip>I just read that Joey Farctittea <snip>is Po'd, and he's not going to listen to those guys.
    He rambled on and on about how great he is along with some other incoherant ramblings, then stated and he's going to take them on in NY with nickos blessings...<snip>

It looks like there will be a shoot out at the nacho corral any day now.

Stay tuned ...<snip>
    How do you spell w-a-s-h-w-o-m-a-n? Hint, it is spelled out on top of this message right after it says "Quote" and "originally posted by".

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Since the OP really doesn't have anything to do with ethics, standards, licensing, legislation regarding Associations, ...<Snip>
    Construction Defects Claims Consultant Home Inspection Disputes - Casey, O'Malley Associates
    ... <Snip>
    Thanks for that link H.G. It explained the basis for the discussion and answers the what and why questions.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

How do you spell w-a-s-h-w-o-m-a-n? Hint, it is spelled out on top of this message right after it says "Quote" and "originally posted by".
    David.. I don't have a clue what thet means.. OH well, considering you promote an association owner that touts the way to success in this profession is by name calling and lies about other inspectors, I'll assume your following the path of your HI org leader.

www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Thanks for that link H.G. It explained the basis for the discussion and answers the what and why questions.
    You are most welcome Stuart.

From H.G. Watson:

....."Their own web site under education management, lists "International Association of Certified Home Inspectiors" as a "Client", included with a list of OTHER CLIENTS. Home Inspection Education Management AFAIK, REcampus is still functioning and hosting CE COA on-line courses.".....

Is it possible:
    If you area a client of a company,
    and you do work for that company,
    then you work for a company,
    if you work for a company then you are part of that company's staff.

Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    From H.G. Watson:

....."Their own web site under education management, lists "International Association of Certified Home Inspectiors" as a "Client", included with a list of OTHER CLIENTS. Home Inspection Education Management AFAIK, REcampus is still functioning and hosting CE COA on-line courses.".....

Is it possible:

Just an idea.
    I don't know about all that but I do know that DOD contractors frequently take on independent subcontractors just so they can list them as being on staff to qualify for a contract or work order. They don't really like to do that because they can't have the micro-managing control over independent contractors that they really want to have and still call them a non-employee as per IRS

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Guy D Brand Sr Guest

Amen to IneterNACHI going all out for the inspector. Other associations mostly have their hands out !

David Nice Guest

From H.G. Watson:

Is it possible:

Just an idea.
    To keep it short I suggest that your "idea" (as a lawyer would object to in court), "assumes facts not in evidence".

No, the distinctions are with significant differences. Especially as pertains to copyright, fair use, and ownership/sales/use of intellectual property.

Especially significant regarding Inter-Nachi's continued development and strategic planning regarding ODL (Online Distance Learning) and accreditation.

Of significant on-point and interest quoting a section of the following paper (see full article including references at: Six Factors to Consider when Planning Online Distance Learning Programs in Higher Education (Levy) "Six Factors to Consider when Planning Online Distance Learning Programs in Higher Education; Suzanne Levy, Ed.D.)

Quote Originally Posted by with permission, emphasis formatting not original

Copyright and Intellectual Property

Copyright law is a major area of law that affects higher educational institutions. The copyright law was totally revised in 1976 (Copyright Law, 1976), having undergone its last revision in 1909. This law allows the owners of the copyright absolute domain for the life of the author plus 50 years. The copyright holder has the right to reproduce the copyrighted work in any format; to prepare derivative works; to distribute copies of copyrighted work to the public by sale, rent, lease, or gift; to perform the copyrighted work publicly; and to display the copyrighted work publicly. Marcus v. Rowley (1983) affirmed that the sale of copyrighted material was illegal, even if there was no personal gain to the seller.

Copyright law seems straightforward enough; others cannot reproduce copyrighted works. In the university setting, though, the doctrine of fair use applies. Fair use allows copyrighted materials to be used without express permission of the copyright holder in an educational setting, provided that the use does not impair the marketability of the work, that only a portion of the original work is used and it is not a critical portion, that credit is given to the author, and, in the case of a performance, it is part of a systematic instructional activity related to the teaching content, and it is transmitted for reception in a classroom.

When the authors are employed as full-time instructors, in legal terms, they are considered "work-for-hire," and the college owns their work (lecture notes, exams, handouts) for 75 years from the date of publication or 100 years from the date the work was created, whichever is shorter (Janes, 1988). Part-time instructors are legally considered contract employees, not work for hire, and as such, own their own work. Full-time instructors, though, have operated under an academic exception to the copyright act in which faculty own their own intellectual property. This is based on tradition, or practice, and is not a legal requirement.

The issues of copyright, fair use, and work for hire are all being reconsidered in this era of online distance learning. Instructors have been accustomed to the idea that they "own" their own work, even if they did not own it legally. Traditionally, when instructors changed colleges, they got to take their lecture notes, too. They could give away their lecture notes freely. Given actual copyright law, though, a part-time instructor can use the same lecture notes when teaching at two different institutions, but a full-time instructor legally may not. This also applies to online courses; they belong to the institution when a full-time instructor creates them. As courses are being put online, thereby becoming marketable, institutions are beginning to claim their rights to the copyright. Full-time instructors have no legal authority to keep the classes they write unless they negotiate for that right. Lawyer Corynn McSherry, in an interview with Young (2001), claimed that instructors need to be careful how they negotiate copyright issues, for the results may infringe upon their academic freedom. Instructors need to be educated about their rights under copyright law (Simpson, 2001; Weigel, 2000). No studies or case law could be found to side with either the institution or the instructor on this issue; therefore, both parties should put their agreements into writing before proceeding with the production and distribution of online courses (Primo & Lesage, 2001).

The doctrine of fair use is also challenging to online instructors. In the past, instructors could copy and distribute articles, provided that the articles were less than 2,500 words or 10% of the original work. They could copy one illustration, chart, picture, or diagram per work, and no more than two works from one author. The copied material could only be used for one course and needed to show the original copyright notice from the work (Simpson, 2001). As more and more information goes online, instructors and students may be under the misconception that this work is being distributed freely. In reality, if the site that is hosting the article or illustration has advertisements on it, then using that work can affect its marketability and therefore may be an infringement of copyright.

Until very recently, the interest about copyright was an even greater concern for faculty who used video or music clips in their online classes (Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act, 2001). As explained earlier, copyright law allowed these clips to be used within a classroom. That meant that the same clip could not be transmitted online, even if for educational purposes with proper copyright notice attached. In March 2001, legislation was submitted to allow faculty members to use many of the same copyrighted works in online courses that they have long been permitted to use in traditional courses. In the case of dramatic and musical works, this legislation requires safeguards such as passwords to ensure that only eligible students view the copyrighted material. This legislation, the Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act (2001), was passed by the U. S. Senate in June 2001, and by a committee of the House of Representatives in October 2001. As of this writing, it is still waiting to be heard in front of the full House.

Institutions need to protect their interests while maintaining academic freedom for their instructors. Therefore, establishing a copyright/intellectual rights policy is necessary to deal with issues before a problem occurs (Gasaway, 2002).

Thus, and especially with both individuals' significant history of development, and business activities; I seriously doubt either is independantly engaged as indivdual full-time "staff", nor the entity COA as exclusively contractually "employed" solely by and to I-Nachi.

Part-time, limited contractual consultants, development and instructor training perhaps, but doubting exclusively employed "work product" status; doubting either of these intelligent young (IMO) men is as short-sighted as L.E.or N.G., or any of those other "participants" on that discussion on another forum, or here, may/would have us believe.

In education, accreditation, and copyright law (rigorously considered by all in edu.) such is quite distinctly regarded and defined.

By the way, Jerry Peck oftentimes likes to claim participation here is exempt from copyright due to "fair use doctrine" for educational circumstances. I don't wish to debate again here, only suggest he might consider reviewing the article linked to above and review the sources, and further consider the instant site is hosted not in the SE district and sells and displays advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy D Brand Sr View Post
    Amen to IneterNACHI going all out for the inspector. Other associations mostly have their hands out !
    What does that mean? I see you have ASHI links on top of your website, and nacho links at the bottom, playing 2nd fiddle to nickis club.

Considering it's well known a cusomer only looks at a site for a coupe seconds, I am assuming you are attempting to have customers that go to your site see your a member of ASHI, and since nicki requires his club to have equal marketing on your web, I am assuming you feel ASHI must has more value to you than nickis club.

Or is it you hope the customer only sees you are an ASHI member, stops there, calls you before they check out the other association you claim to be a member of??

www.inspectaz.com

Mike Nelson Guest

How about this, we can all the crap, and look at what is best for the industry? Set egos aside, and try to find a way to pull the industry back from the trench we find it in. In my mind, no one has done more for the new inspector than Internachi since Kevin let go of ITA. Now we have the opportunity to combine the association strength of Internachi to the knowledge base of COA, Kevin and Mike are quality individuals, and if you have never met them, nor know them like I do, you should not throw stones. I was working for Kaplan and saw how Mike Casey fought for us, when bad decision after bad decision was rammed down our throats. And while they will not defend themselves, I will tell you that they have acted completely with honor in the recent ASHI School seperation. Neither of them will defend themselves on this or any other forum, but think about this, in this electronic age, anybody can say anything almost with impunity, so it behooves us to come to the defense of each other, and I will stand next to Kevin and Mike, back to back if needed, against anyone who attacks them without knowing what they are talking about. Hey how bout this?? Call em and ask them why they have made the decisions they have made!! Believe me, they have good reasons for every decision they have made, and we all have the right to change our minds once in a while. I changed my mind about Nick Gromicko when I asked him some very harsh questions about his reputations and actions he supposedly had taken, he looked me straight in the eye and explained his logic. Now I did not agree with everything he did, but I could see he wasn't trying to wreck the industry like so many have accused. And many of my new students have benefitted greatly from his organization. So in my book, as we continue to evolve this industry, this is a natural confluence of talent. I say embrace it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nelson View Post
    How about this, we can all the crap, and look at what is best for the industry? Set egos aside, and try to find a way to pull the industry back from the trench we find it in. In my mind, no one has done more for the new inspector than Internachi since Kevin let go of ITA. Now we have the opportunity to combine the association strength of Internachi to the knowledge base of COA, Kevin and Mike are quality individuals, and if you have never met them, nor know them like I do, you should not throw stones. I was working for Kaplan and saw how Mike Casey fought for us, when bad decision after bad decision was rammed down our throats. And while they will not defend themselves, I will tell you that they have acted completely with honor in the recent ASHI School seperation. Neither of them will defend themselves on this or any other forum, but think about this, in this electronic age, anybody can say anything almost with impunity, so it behooves us to come to the defense of each other, and I will stand next to Kevin and Mike, back to back if needed, against anyone who attacks them without knowing what they are talking about. Hey how bout this?? Call em and ask them why they have made the decisions they have made!! Believe me, they have good reasons for every decision they have made, and we all have the right to change our minds once in a while. I changed my mind about Nick Gromicko when I asked him some very harsh questions about his reputations and actions he supposedly had taken, he looked me straight in the eye and explained his logic. Now I did not agree with everything he did, but I could see he wasn't trying to wreck the industry like so many have accused. And many of my new students have benefitted greatly from his organization. So in my book, as we continue to evolve this industry, this is a natural confluence of talent. I say embrace it!!
    I'm with Mike. I know Mike Casey better than Kevin, even though Kevin was my instructor back in 1993. The parting of ways between COA and ASHI have been nothing but professional on both sides.

It is strictly a business decision for COA to work with Nick and his group. COA will still work with ASHI as well. COA is just not part of the ASHI School, that relationship is over as of a few weeks ago. The ASHI School is still in business and has numerous classes going and in the works. Many of the same instructors that COA used are still teaching for The ASHI School, it is still business as usual.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I'm with Mike. I know Mike Casey better than Kevin, even though Kevin was my instructor back in 1993. The parting of ways between COA and ASHI have been nothing but professional on both sides.

It is strictly a business decision for COA to work with Nick and his group. COA will still work with ASHI as well. COA is just not part of the ASHI School, that relationship is over as of a few weeks ago. The ASHI School is still in business and has numerous classes going and in the works. Many of the same instructors that COA used are still teaching for The ASHI School, it is still business as usual.
    I am unaware of any "parting of the ways" between the principals of COA and ASHI, just a divestiture of an interest and association in/with The ASHI School.

"Hatfields & McCoys" crud, doesn't truely benefit the professional or business interests of professionals.

Ted Menelly Guest

I will claim complete ignorance, because I do not know ..............

And you are ?

I am thinking that you believe everyone should know who you are but after decades I must say ....... I do not know who you are unless maybe some mental gas has to be released to get the fog out to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I will claim complete ignorance, because I do not know ..............

And you are ?

I am thinking that you believe everyone should know who you are but after decades I must say ....... I do not know who you are unless maybe some mental gas has to be released to get the fog out to remember.
    I just came from the nacho enq. and got the scoop.
    From what I gather this Mike guy is the only nacho trainer that the Casey and Omalley boys are going to teach.

The others already informed nicko they know everthing, and they aint going to have them or anybody else teach them how to teach.

It's looking like their time helping Lisa will either be short lived, or Joey F. will be going to the big house for resisting them

www.inspectaz.com

Mike Nelson Guest

Here is my bio. Feel free to contact me directly at mnelson7@rochester.rr.com to find out anything else you are curious about. I just felt the need to stand up for a couple guys who have done more for the home inspection industry than ANYONE else, by miles!! I am not particularly well known in the industry outside of presentations I have done.

Mike Nelson is an I.C.B.O., I.C.C., I.B.C. & I.R.C. Certified Building Inspector (since 1993) and owner of Nelson Inspection Services, Marion NY.

Last edited by Mike Nelson; 03-29-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: uneeded info

Ted Menelly Guest

Here is my bio. Feel free to contact me directly at mnelson7@rochester.rr.com to find out anything else you are curious about. I just felt the need to stand up for a couple guys who have done more for the home inspection industry than ANYONE else, by miles!!

Mike Nelson is anI.C.B.O. I.C.C., I.B.C. & I.R.C. Certified Building Inspector (since 1993) and owner of Nelson Inspection Services, Marion NY. This is his second successful inspection business, his first, Applied Research Inspection, he successfully owned / operated for 10 years in Tracy Ca. prior to selling it and moving to New York. Prior to being a home inspector, Mike was a union carpenter in the San Francisco bay area, UBCJA LOCAL 1280 Mountain view Ca. He was given the local “Apprentice Of The Year” award after successfully completing the 3-year program. He went on to be a foreman and a superintendent prior to starting his inspection business. He spent 3 years at Chabot Junior College, Hayward California, taking night classes in the “Construction Inspection” program.

Mr. Nelson has successfully passed the course for the prestigious “F.I.R.E”. Chimney and Fireplace inspection credential, and is the certified member # FP010, as well as the New York State DEC Pest Application / Inspection Certification. Mike is also a past certified inspection member of the American Society of Home Inspectors, and The California Real Estate Inspectors Association, and The National Association of Home Inspectors .

Mr. Nelson has taken the ITA courses in Mold Survey and Sampling, Manufactured Home Inspection and Commercial Inspection, and he is a graduate of the very first ITA “FASTTRACK” course. Mike helped in revising the ITA “MATRIX” inspection software used by over 7,000 companies across the United States and Canada.

He has performed over 8000 inspections and has done multiple “ride along” mentoring training days for new ITA trained inspectors. Mike has been licensed by the state of New York, to teach home inspection courses, and was the managing Supervisor for the Rochester Kaplan ITA Facility, 2006- 2009, where he oversaw and instructed classes in pre licensing, residential inspection, field training, commercial inspections, mold and radon, and several other classes.
    He has spoken at seminars across the country on a wide range of subjects. Mike was a founding charter member of the California Real Estate Inspection Association Delta Chapter, and also helped in the formation of the Western New York Chapter of the National Association of Home Inspectors. Mike is currently the President of The Finger Lakes Chapter of InterNachi. Mike also holds the “Certified Master Inspector” title from the InterNational Association of Certified Home Inspectors.
    Mr. Nelson is a certified Competent Toastmaster and was given the following awards by his California Rotary Club, “Outstanding New Rotarian”, 1999 and “Rotarian of The Year” 2001 by the Tracy Sunrise Rotary club, district 5220 California.
    Mr. Nelson was the chairman of the 4th Of July Celebrations for the Tracy Chamber of Commerce 1999-2003, and a committee member on the largest city event, The Bean Festival during that same period.
    Mike has been a member of the Calvary Chapel church system for the last 10 years where he has donated countless hours in service to his fellow citizens.

Mike has been a presenter at the ITA EXPO in Las Vegas on 3 occasions and the World Inspection Network conference in Orlando Florida and San Antonio Texas, and InterNachi Toronto as well as having been a speaker at several different inspection association chapter meetings.
    Mike most recently spoke as a presenter to the Finger Lakes Building Officials yearly conference, held at the RIT Conference Center earlier this year (2009). Also Mike spoke at the first ever joint NAHI / ASHI Educational conference in Columbus Ohio in Sept 2009. Mike recently presented at the Little Rock Arkansas ASHI seminar in March 2011 with The ASHI School / COA program.
    Mike has worked as a Certified New York Code Enforcement Officer / Building & Zoning inspector for the town of Macedon NY since January 2007, and most recently was named Chief Building Official for the Village of Macedon NY. In his spare time, Mike loves to go to his forge and create art as a blacksmith and spend time with his family.
    Well thanks Mike. I was just curious if you were a personal friend or "A building official and inspector from New York".

I have never been into the hype and fluff thing. I kinda thought all the folks from the North East (such as myself) just did the more direct thing like in my quotes. All of the rest of the stuff is great.

I kind of give the more direct answer like

"I am a 57 year old (This year. Boy it goes fast) that has been a full time inspector for 12 years and built, remodeled, and nspected for 25 plus years before that"

Of course there is a mountain or plethora of info mixed in with that short answer but I tend to keep it all to myself unless brought up in a conversation.

My website tells of the glamor and glitz thing. I do have great respect for accomplishments and all but I just do not throw them out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    I don't know about all that but I do know that DOD contractors frequently take on independent subcontractors just so they can list them as being on staff to qualify for a contract or work order. They don't really like to do that because they can't have the micro-managing control over independent contractors that they really want to have and still call them a non-employee as per IRS
    Stuart,
    From the link that I used from HG Watson that lists InterNaACHI as a client I look to understand how a client can list that provider as part of InterNACHI staff.

Maybe I loose the conversion from having someone as a client and then being part of their staff maybe it is in the definitions.

Since I have had Verizon a a client then I am now part of their staff ?????

Hell, it works for me.

Probably much to do about nothing. Just interesting twist.

Mike most recently spoke as a presenter to the Finger Lakes Building Officials yearly conference, held at the RIT Conference Center earlier this year (2009). Also Mike spoke at the first ever joint NAHI / ASHI Educational conference in Columbus Ohio in Sept 2009. Mike recently presented at the Little Rock Arkansas ASHI seminar in March 2011 with The ASHI School / COA program.

What does this mean and imply...and what is it intended to mean and/or imply?

Mike Nelson Guest

no meaning, just responding to a question of "and you are?" a who is this guy? comment.

Last edited by Mike Nelson; 03-29-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: accuracy

Besides being a top notch inspector, Mike Nelson is a very sincere person who loves what he does. He always shared whatever he had, taught me a great deal, and I value every moment I spent with him.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Stuart,... <Snip>
    Since I have had Verizon a a client then I am now part of their staff ?????
    If you signed an specific agreement to perform one more specific tasks over a specified period of time for the contractor with the fore knowledge that the contractor would list you as a member of the staff. Example:

Say I was a systems engineer with the experience and knowledge to design, build, and deploy a certain class of system. If AJAX Company asked me to look at a proposed design and do something with it, then I'm just a independent worker bee performing a job for them for a specified fee or rate.

But, if AJAX Company was entering a proposal for a contract with another company or government agency and they needed someone with my credentials to meet contract requirements, or in some cases just to look good - a lot of PhDs get hired that way, then they can subcontract me to provide services and be listed as a member of their staff.

Been there, done that. It's a little more complicated than the example.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Stuart,
    Thanks,

Guy D Brand Sr Guest

Cool Re: InterNACHI welcomes Michael Casey and Kevin O'Malley to our staff.

What does that mean? I see you have ASHI links on top of your website, and nacho links at the bottom, playing 2nd fiddle to nickis club.

Considering it's well known a cusomer only looks at a site for a coupe seconds, I am assuming you are attempting to have customers that go to your site see your a member of ASHI, and since nicki requires his club to have equal marketing on your web, I am assuming you feel ASHI must has more value to you than nickis club.

Or is it you hope the customer only sees you are an ASHI member, stops there, calls you before they check out the other association you claim to be a member of??
    If I was allowed to use ASHI logo or say I am a member, as they define member as a full member, as a lowly PAYING ASHI associate I would give it just as much exposure as the NACHI logo. To me this is a negative and doesn't help build a better inspector.

As I am moving up the ASHI ladder, what you see on my web pages is all I am allowed by ASHI. This dosen't help newer inspectors market ASHI very well. NACHI has a better education track also.

I believe both have their value over time and I will continue to support both. Didn't mean to step on your sensitive toes!

If I was allowed to use ASHI logo or say I am a member, as they define member as a full member, as a lowly PAYING ASHI associate I would give it just as much exposure as the NACHI logo. To me this is a negative and doesn't help build a better inspector.

As I am moving up the ASHI ladder, what you see on my web pages is all I am allowed by ASHI. This dosen't help newer inspectors market ASHI very well. NACHI has a better education track also.

I believe both have their value over time and I will continue to support both. Didn't mean to step on your sensitive toes!
    My sensitive toes aren't hurt.
    I was only wondering why you would say that about some associations, when you belong to 2 of the 3 nationally known to the public. Was this some thing you believed, or was it something you heard and you are playing the part of repeating it.

I applaud you for being willing to work for, and earn the ASHI cert.

It appears you are telling your customers two conflicting things.
    One association requires you to climb the ladder prior to being marketed to the public as a certified inspector. To earn that cert, privalge that is verified by a 3rd party, you have to have a measly 50 inspections, take a proctored exam to earn the privalge of using their logo.

You then are telling your customers via the other association leader, members of the other assoc. you belong to are blind d... b stupid and other crap..
    His policy is all an inspector needs to do is take his quiz and bam you are certified.

More education from one org over another.. Education is great, as you gain more experience in this profession , you will find joining a local professional HI org chapter with members of 10-20 years experience, having them share their past and everyday experieces will exceed any on-line ed. you could ever get.

"As a lowly PAYING ASHI associate I would give it just as much exposure as the NACHI logo"
    I recall those days.. I also recall getting several inspections from that lowly logo because the customer felt I was not overstating my qualifications and was working to being the best I could be.

Which Inspector would you hire to inspect your or your family members home., a lowly ASHI associate that's willing to earn a logo thru verified experience, or an inspector that got his logo by paying $300.00 and taking a 15 min. open book on-line quiz.??

Last edited by Dan Harris; 03-31-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    www.inspectaz.com

Guy D Brand Sr Guest

My sensitive toes aren't hurt.
    I was only wondering why you would say that about some associations, when you belong to 2 of the 3 nationally known to the public. Was this some thing you believed, or was it something you heard and you are playing the part of repeating it.

I applaud you for being willing to work for, and earn the ASHI cert.

It appears you are telling your customers two conflicting things.
    One association requires you to climb the ladder prior to being marketed to the public as a certified inspector. To earn that cert, privalge that is verified by a 3rd party, you have to have a measly 50 inspections, take a proctored exam to earn the privalge of using their logo.

You then are telling your customers via the other association leader, members of the other assoc. you belong to are blind d... b stupid and other crap..
    His policy is all an inspector needs to do is take his quiz and bam you are certified.

More education from one org over another.. Education is great, as you gain more experience in this profession , you will find joining a local professional HI org chapter with members of 10-20 years experience, having them share their past and everyday experieces will exceed any on-line ed. you could ever get.

"As a lowly PAYING ASHI associate I would give it just as much exposure as the NACHI logo"
    I recall those days.. I also recall getting several inspections from that lowly logo because the customer felt I was not overstating my qualifications and was working to being the best I could be.

Which Inspector would you hire to inspect your or your family members home., a lowly ASHI associate that's willing to earn a logo thru verified experience, or an inspector that got his logo by paying $300.00 and taking a 15 min. open book on-line quiz.??
    Rules must be different for you, I am not allowed to use ASHI logo as an associate.

I'll repeat without bias towards either-they both have value, and I will market with both as I am allowed.

P.S. My clients get a darn good inspection given my overstated abilities!

I think

Rules must be different for you, I am not allowed to use ASHI logo as an associate.

I'll repeat without bias towards either-they both have value, and I will market with both as I am allowed.

P.S. My clients get a darn good inspection given my overstated abilities!

I think
    Guy, all you have to do to use the ASHI Associate Logo is complete 50 inspections, have your reports verified and pass the NHIE. I seem to recall that you have passed the NHIE so the rest should be easy.

You can also use the "ASHI Experience" logo, all members can use this logo.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com