Default Re: Whats the largest house you've done?

I had a 7800q a few months ago.... that's the biggest one I could remember. It was kind of a let down.... it was really just two houses joined together. I was hoping for a super mansion

Ted Menelly Guest

A little over 20,000 sf. It was big but not the get lost in kind of big. Every room was big and open. Don't get me wrong, I did get turned around several times but it was just a big open home with all the amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    A little over 20,000 sf. It was big but not the get lost in kind of big. Every room was big and open. Don't get me wrong, I did get turned around several times but it was just a big open home with all the amenities.
    Everything is bigger in TX, Wow, how many days did it take to do that one or did you treat it like a commercial and sub parts out?

Not the biggest but the biggest this week, 8252' living with 4 car garage which has it's own heat and air conditioning. With a Pool and a fountain in the middle of the front circle drive, automatic gates on about 2 acres. Bank owned property that they say has been vacant for about 3 years. I was on site from 8 am to 8:30 pm with about an hour off for lunch. Still writing the report. $1.47 million in 08 but a bargain today for slightly over $800K. I figure about 100K should get it cleaned up and functioning.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I did a 6,700 sf this week. Nice house, not much to write up. The young couple, that are buying the home, were most worried about where to put the computer, as they left the inspection to pick-up there kids from school. 6700sf! Come on, it's probably a laptop shouldn't be a big problem .

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Not the biggest but the biggest this week, 8252' living with 4 car garage which has it's own heat and air conditioning. With a Pool and a fountain in the middle of the front circle drive, automatic gates on about 2 acres. Bank owned property that they say has been vacant for about 3 years. I was on site from 8 am to 8:30 pm with about an hour off for lunch. Still writing the report. $1.47 million in 08 but a bargain today for slightly over $800K. I figure about 100K should get it cleaned up and functioning.
    JL, whats the average Sq ft going for out there? .25+ cents at that size?

My average "small" house was probably around 3,500 sf; my "medium" houses were 5,000 to 7,500 sf; my larger houses were 10,000 to 15,000 sf; and I did several which were 20,000 to 25,000 sf.

My largest was around 25,000 sf, but I had a number of those. Never was able to get into the 30,000 to 40,000 sf market (was not a lot of those either, so it was not a big deal to not do one, but it would have been a notch up in market if I had been able to make those contacts).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My largest 26,000sf.... It had 5 pools (lap, toe dipping, family, and a slide pool like a water park)... 6- 100gal water heaters.... 3 kitchens..... a 2,500sf master bathroom suite..... garage for 6 cars..... parking area for about 20 cars..... and a bunch of other stuff. It took me 3 days and that was with their groundskeeper helping me along the way and keeping me from getting lost.

I would say my typical home I inspect is around 3,500sf, but I also do a good number in the 5,000 to 7,000 sf range.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    My largest 26,000sf.... It had 5 pools (lap, toe dipping, family, and a slide pool like a water park)... 6- 100gal water heaters.... 3 kitchens..... a 2,500sf master bathroom suite..... garage for 6 cars..... parking area for about 20 cars..... and a bunch of other stuff. It took me 3 days and that was with their groundskeeper helping me along the way and keeping me from getting lost.

I would say my typical home I inspect is around 3,500sf, but I also do a good number in the 5,000 to 7,000 sf range.
    Wow, awsome. You have any images around?

I don't really keep track of the size of homes, but one is memorable not for the size of the home, but the size of the garage. Four double doors on one side and three on an adjoining wall. Each door was 10' tall and each panel was full tempered double insulated glass (I'd never seen that before or since). In-floor radiant heat. Two 4 ton A/C units. Two full size bathrooms each with large walk-in showers, one had a whirlpool.

Fred Comb, ACI
    Mahtomedi, MN
    www.homeinspectionsofmn.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Everything is bigger in TX, Wow, how many days did it take to do that one or did you treat it like a commercial and sub parts out?
    That particular home had multiple garages. Not just 4 double and a single but about double and a half deep on each with twice that parking minimum outside.

The ground floor was a full bar and club as well as dance hall and stage. Not just a little bar/club/dance hall and stage but as big as most in the public. Full kitchen as well and a separate 2 bedroom residents for the servants. That walk out basement to the pool area was about a third of the home or 7 to 8 thousand square feet.

Now that I think of it (it was one of the homes I lost the info on in a fire along with all back up) the garage area alone had to be another 5,000 sf to the homes footage. The attic over the garage area was as big as the garage area in a completely enclosed and plywooded 2 story (open) attic.

At this point thinking back I cannot tell you the size of the home. The homes overall square footage and volume was monstrous. And thinking back (a couple decades) it took me a week to inspect only for the structure itself as it was so involved. The main part of the home was big rooms and open so size wise, even though it was huge did not seem so big after there for a couple of days. A lot of intricate type inspection involved in that home. I wish I still had all the info. It would be nice to reflect.

I guess if I won the huge Mega millions I would know what it would be like to live like that. I think it is well into the 200,000,000.00s by now. Lets see. Put it all away and live off of 1,000,000 spendable cash a year and how many generations of Teds could live off of that. That is a pretty scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Wow, awsome. You have any images around?
    I wish I could share them, but I had to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

LoL, thats okay..I understand, I did an inspection of one of the cast of that show "high school musical". Went through the same thing.

Last edited by Marc M; 03-27-2011 at 07:06 AM.

The largest I have done is 12,000 SF.

Ted Menelly Guest

That large home I did I had to do the same thing. It was the only one I ever had to sign anything on.

mitch buchanan Guest

I did an 11,000 SF home recently. Owner worked for the bank that was loaning the money for him to build it! And you guessed it - he was scamming the bank and builders. A big mess still being sorted out for him. The home wasn't finished, a wealthy neighbor bought it and finished it, water pipes burst and the neighbor finished it again! I came along after this and had an enjoyable day inspecting this place. Two bedroom were so large, they had their own HVAC systems, two kitchens, 4 electric panels and water heaters, etc., etc. Only 2 people were going to live in this home - the wife talked about all the new stuff she was going to rip out and change. Damn - some people have too much money!

Somewhere around 10,000 square foot. Personally, I would rather inspect two smaller and predictable cookie cutter homes per day than step into a Mcmansion.

One of the more interesting homes I did had a "streets of yesteryear" theme in the basement. The street had brick pavers, the movie theater had a box office, there was a huge tavern, a library and a guest "room" that had a veranda. It was pretty wild. House was probably in the 10,000+ S.F. range so they had plenty of room for this concept.

We had an 8,000 S.F. house Saturday and it was in nice condition. Generally we'll find poor construction and/or maintenance. As these monsters age we've debated as to whether we want to look at these homes.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I had a 37K sq.ft. once that was all pier and beam, had 3 pools, 2 quest homes, a home theatre (sit 50 easily) and an automotive garage that interest me the most. It had belonged to the WILSON family. (Sporting Goods)

Rick

I did a 6000 sq. ft. last week with a 2700 unfinished basement. two days latter did a 9300 sq. ft. home that had a news write up in 2000 about the 300,000 patio makeover. When market crashed it was foreclosed on and a elder woman bought it that collected old cars. She passed and her kids put it up for 1.8, sat forever and now is 900,000.

Biggest commercial was a strip center that was around 30,000 sq, ft.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Darrel Hood Guest

Mine was approximately 13,000 living square feet. Two four car garages. Olympic pool and two hot tubs. Two outdoor kitchens and living areas. On and on. It had to be done in a day and a half, so I used several subs.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Hi, ALL &

10,500 sq. for me - with 11 bathrooms, indoor pool, elevator, home theater, etc, etc.

Was there for 9-10 hours, along with a colleague who put in 5 additional hours, to back me up...

Mind-numbing with trying to keep track of all those bathrooms & their individual intricacies (I left thinking "I don't even want to SEE a bathroom for at least 24 hours", to clear my head...)

Everyone I know said I under-priced it.

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

mathew stouffer Guest

28,000 with a huge in door pool and the guy died of cancer and never paid me. POS! May have a 33,000 footer next week. That will be fun

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    28,000 with a huge in door pool and the guy died of cancer and never paid me. POS! May have a 33,000 footer next week. That will be fun
    Hey Matt,
    what do you get $ for 33K sq ft?

mathew stouffer Guest

Marc,
    11 cents a foot.