Thread: How's this ok?

Default How's this ok?

Inspected a new construction home last week and the first thing I found was the pictured foundation wall with unsupported knee wall. Normally I save the crawl for the end, but the WDI inspector was there so we went together. Like I said, the first thing I see is CMU foundation supporting a knee wall, with a gap in the end of the CMU wall. What the heck! Other than a few pieces of insulation missing, everything else looks good.

When I have finished the inspection the Realtor asks me if they have installed the second 2 x 12 under the front living room off set wall? The house is 4000 sf with full crawl, fully insulated TJI and enough short sections of internal wall support beams to make it look like a Sunday cross-word puzzle. The buyer had P.E. do a framing inspection during construction and the missing 2 x 12 was noted from the drawings. I told her I was at a slight disadvantage but would take another look. Sure enough, the support beneath the short off set wall was still one TJI joist.

OK, I missed that! But how is the missing block, with the sagging knee wall ok? No mention in the P.E's report of missing block. I don't have drawings to look at, but can't make sense of it at all.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: How's this ok?

Is the 2nd picture the area above the 1st picture?

Can't tell if that section of the knee wall is load bearing.
    I would doubt that 2x4 section would be intended that way, especially for a 2-story 4ksf house unless it has a beam over the top somewhere.

Why did you need to go in with the WDI inspector?
    Did you go back after you ran all the plumbing and look for leaks?

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Is the 2nd picture the area above the 1st picture?

Can't tell if that section of the knee wall is load bearing.
    I would doubt that 2x4 section would be intended that way, especially for a 2-story 4ksf house unless it has a beam over the top somewhere.

Why did you need to go in with the WDI inspector?
    Did you go back after you ran all the plumbing and look for leaks?
    Second pic was wrong pic, I thought I had selected pic showing the rest of the wall, instead it just showes missing insulation. The knee wall supports a full length exterior two story wall with TJI rim joist. The end of the rim joist does bear on the pictured pier with approx 1-1/2" of bearing surface.

Went with the WDI inspector as buddy system (SCUBA ref). Besides, we solve world problems when we get together. He is a Glen Beck follower who doesn't believe Mechelle Bachman is smoking left handed cigarettes! Turns out the buddy system was almost fatal. He had opened the door and I followed him in latter. I normally stick a screwdriver in the ground to block the door open but didn't pay attention to it this time. When we came out we noticed the door has a slam latch. If the wind had closed the door we would have been on the next milk cartons in the grocery.

Ya, I went back in after running water, no leaks.

Vern...

Not only does that second picture show the missing insulation, but it also shows that all-too-familiar 6 1/4" bat of R-19 lying beautifully accross the bottom flange of the I-Joists. Unfortunately it also means there's an air space of 3+ inches beneath the sub floor rendering the presence of the insulation almost irrelevant (ins. must be in contact with the surface its intended to insulate).

What they have is a wind tunnel beneath their feet.

That horizontal unsupported 2x (sill?) sure looks like it's bending down to me. Just because someone else did not report on something doesn't make it OK. Did you report it?

chris mcintyre Guest

Missing foundation looks to be intentional and about 2' wide.

Maybe it was to be an access door or the location of the gas pack and for whatever reason the plan changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary DeWitt View Post
    That horizontal unsupported 2x (sill?) sure looks like it's bending down to me. Just because someone else did not report on something doesn't make it OK. Did you report it?
    Ya, I reported what I saw and suspected of being wrong. Started to second guess myself after seeing a P.E. had done framing inspection that included drilling to test load points at multiple locations.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Missing foundation looks to be intentional and about 2' wide.

Maybe it was to be an access door or the location of the gas pack and for whatever reason the plan changed?
    That crossed my mind, but I would have thought the end of the knee wall would have been supported for any planned opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hahn View Post
    Vern...

Not only does that second picture show the missing insulation, but it also shows that all-too-familiar 6 1/4" bat of R-19 lying beautifully accross the bottom flange of the I-Joists. Unfortunately it also means there's an air space of 3+ inches beneath the sub floor rendering the presence of the insulation almost irrelevant (ins. must be in contact with the surface its intended to insulate).

What they have is a wind tunnel beneath their feet.
    And the home has its Energy Star rating. Go figure!