Default Cracked granite island

No photo, because you can hardly see this thing.

New construction. Buyers discovered an almost invisible crack in the granite island. I can definitely feel it and follow it with my fingertips. It's about a foot long, and there's a spot that you can catch your fingernail on. Doesn't seem to go all the way through to the bottom.

What would be done about this, aside from replacement? Would this be polished out or filled, or what? Or, is it "normal"?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: Cracked granite island

Granite is HARD!!! Polishing is not possible on site.
    Blame it on the listing broker
    The installer/ manufacturer should be out to take a look
    If not the contractor is on the hook
    depending on the test of the line
    Epoxy filler I think would be best option if not too bad.
    And can match color
    depending on brain matter

The only successful correction for cracked granite that I am aware of is ... replacement.

You may be able to epoxy the crack, but the crack will continue through the granite.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The only successful correction for cracked granite that I am aware of is ... replacement.

You may be able to epoxy the crack, but the crack will continue through the granite.
    I agree

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

my 2 & 1/2 cents worth.

To salvage the counter it will require that the crack be completed through the slab.
    Then the counter has to be reset & leveled.
    Next the the slab has to be epoxied together with clamps to draw together.
    Finally you have to hold your noise and walk away praying from that point on.

Alternative #2 is if the slab is in alignment (not raised) filling would be a temp fix that could be filled and polished (filler not granite). But, over time the cause of the crack may worsen and cause the crack to reopen wider or to move out of alignment vertically.

The problem if not a flaw in the granite is that it is not being supported correctly and a stress point was created and then failed.

Best answer is installation error and should be replaced. Hoping that the next install is done better. "Pays your money and takes your chances."

All the responses so far are for real granite. There are synthetic granite products out there that could be repairable, but that's not the best way. New house, new owners, they get a new counter top, no jerking around.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    All the responses so far are for real granite. There are synthetic granite products out there that could be repairable, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    The problem ... is that it is not being supported correctly and a stress point was created and then failed.
    Even if there was a flaw in the granite, once cut, polished and properly set (see Garry's quote) the flawed granite would not crack, and the synthetic/composite materials would be under the same stresses if not supported properly and correctly.

Granite is not flexible, it wants to be firmly and securely supported on a flat plane ... stress it out of plane (bend it) and it will crack (it may take a while to crack, but it will eventually crack if not supported in plane).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    All the responses so far are for real granite. There are synthetic granite products out there that could be repairable, but that's not the best way. New house, new owners, they get a new counter top, no jerking around.
    The original was about granite not quartz re-manufactured into a quartz product like Silesstone. And was directed at how to salvage the counter. New replacement is almost always better than fixing the problem, if cost is not a factor.

There may be issues that we are not aware of, like $ 8,000 credit back to buyer if they accept a repair. Builder saves money on lost counter in replacement. Repair may not be noticeable if done right.

Lets not read more into the question else we will be replacing the toilet as part of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    The original was about granite not quartz re-manufactured into a quartz product like Silesstone. And was directed at how to salvage the counter. New replacement is almost always better than fixing the problem, if cost is not a factor.

There may be issues that we are not aware of, like $ 8,000 credit back to buyer if they accept a repair. Builder saves money on lost counter in replacement. Repair may not be noticeable if done right.

Lets not read more into the question else we will be replacing the toilet as part of the answer.
    The buyers will never be happy knowing that the granite on their island was cracked and then repaired. No matter what is done they will know where the crack is/was and they will see it no matter how good the repair is.

An $8,000 dollar credit would amount to around $5 a month reduction on a 30 year mortgage.

If it was my home I would want a new slab of granite installed.

Would you accept a new car from a dealer with the knowledge of it being repaired after it was damaged but it looks fine now?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com