mathew stouffer Guest

Default Holes in toilet tank

Ever see this. Each time the toilet is flushed, several drops of water splash through the holes.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Holes in toilet tank

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Ever see this. Each time the toilet is flushed, several drops of water splash through the holes.
    I think that tank is designed for a wall mounting. With a wall mount tank you would have bolts with washers and gaskets that would prevent water from splashing out the holes.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Ahhh I did not think of that. Thanks.

Scott
    I hate to disagree with you, however, the lid will not fit on the tank if the tank is bolted to the wall.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Scott
    I hate to disagree with you, however, the lid will not fit on the tank if the tank is bolted to the wall.
    With a wall mount toilet the tank will have a bracket that attaches to the tank and then attaches to the wall. This provides the space for the lid to sit on the tank. I have never seen a low profile tank that wall mounts but that is about the only thing I can think that the holes might be for.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I just don't see someone setting the toilet flange in the floor during roughin, and at the same time getting the distance from the wall for the bracket so that they both line up when setting the toilet.

I have not noticed the holes in the back of the tank like that either, but looks like a normal floor mount low profile toilet.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

The hole on the right looks a little crowned on the inside portion of the tank. Seems that would make the tank susceptible to cracking considering how tight the bolts would have to be installed to keep the tank from moving.

Maybe the holes in the tank is somebody's idea of a joke, kind of like the classic dribble drinking glass. Nothing says big belly laughs like toilet water all over the floor.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Bill Brooks Guest

The four holes are there for purposes of venting to allow for the water and tank to be at a similar temperature and help prevent condensation.

a major mistake/ screwup was when their ballcocks would break off at the cap assy/ pivot and the tank would continue to fill. so fast that the older overflow assy would not handle the water fast enough. the 4 vent holes would overflow.

the retrofit kit came with a newer flush valve that was a large rectangle instead of the quarter size round one. also the replacement ballcock cap would be a brass pivot arm and not the original plastic

You'd think they would have put the holes a few inches higher if they are for venting. It looks like there is still plenty of room before the lid.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brooks View Post
    The four holes are there for purposes of venting to allow for the water and tank to be at a similar temperature and help prevent condensation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    You'd think they would have put the holes a few inches higher if they are for venting. It looks like there is still plenty of room before the lid.
    Bill is correct, and if the correct fill valve and overflow was installed (not what is shown in the photo), the overflow is sufficiently lower than the holes and there is no problem.

The problem is that those require special, and costly, replacement components and people go to the Big Box stores and buy whatever they can 'make work' at the lowest possible price. Here, the lowest possible price did not take into consideration what it will cost if that tank overflows out those holes because the overflow is too high and the water level control valve is the wrong kind.

You could probably buy a new decent toilet for the cost of buying the proper parts for that one.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brooks View Post

a major mistake/ screwup was when their ballcocks would break off at the cap assy/ pivot and the tank would continue to fill. so fast that the older overflow assy would not handle the water fast enough. the 4 vent holes would overflow.

the retrofit kit came with a newer flush valve that was a large rectangle instead of the quarter size round one. also the replacement ballcock cap would be a brass pivot arm and not the original plastic
    Thanks Bill...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

C.Johnson Guest

@ Bill did you just copy and past your answer from post 6 of this thread? Holes in Toilet Tank - RIDGID Plumbing Forum, Woodworking Forum, Power Tool Forum
    Just Curious

Bill Brooks Guest

Yes I did I tried to add the link I thought it had attached to the post still learning how to post and attach

I've run into various age toilets with holes on the back like that, usually only two. Can't remember seeing one with four. But yes they are for venting/condensation control.
    Doesn't really matter though, it's a lowboy tell the client to get rid of it as soon as feasible. Those things were always a nuisance.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Mathew,
    It is a Kohler.
    Maybe about 1985.
    Looks like correct fill valve. There should be a white vinyl hose about half way down the valve assembly.
    The float ball arm looks a little short (maybe just the angle of picture).
    The drain flapper is set at an angle and has to be a Kohler, else it will not work correctly.

The holes are part of design.
    Water level should be well under the holes, about half way down.

If the water level is to high then you may get the splashing you describe.
    The water level is adjusted at the valve head. Be careful not to break it. Parts can get expensive.