Andy Jarchow Guest

Default Main panel wired like a sub?

Hello all,

I did an inspection on a manufactured home yesterday. The main panel was wired like a sub. The grounds and neutrals were separated and the neutral bus was isolated from the panel.

Other than being weird is this a big deal? The sub in the garage had the neutural bus isolated from the panel but the neutrals and ground wires were tied together on the same bus.

As far as the house panel is concerned it might have been wired to be a sub for a trailer court where your main is on a ped or pole…

Have a great day

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Andy Jarchow; 03-30-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Main panel wired like a sub?

Me confused.

When I read the first "naturals", I naturally assumed it was a typo/mistake. Upon reading further, however, I realized I was wrong. I've never seen neutrals called naturals. Is this a regional thing?

Also: I'm trying to figure out "other than being wearied..."

I'm not touching the term "sub".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I see a terminology rant in the future of this thread.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Me confused.

When I read the first "naturals", I naturally assumed it was a typo/mistake. Upon reading further, however, I realized I was wrong. I've never seen neutrals called naturals. Is this a regional thing?

Also: I'm trying to figure out "other than being wearied..."

I'm not touching the term "sub".
    I will edit my spelling errors. Not sure what you would call the sub-panel? I'm interested in what the correct term is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krueger View Post
    ...Not sure what you would call the sub-panel? I'm interested in what the correct term is.
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-question.html

Enjoy.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

what you would call the sub-panel? I'm interested in what the correct term is.

Really? With over 200 posts and you don't know the difference between service panels and distribution panels? Come on. You are just trying to start an arguement.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Manufactured homes have their own specific requirements.

Services and/or pedestals are additionally specified for same.

Please refer to the appropriate chapters in the NEC, and the Code of Federal Regulations.

Power outlets for RVs, Trailers, etc. also have their own unique set of specifications.

Neither manufactured homes, RVs nor trailers should have a service point or unbonded supply within or directly upon them.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Hello all,

I did an inspection on a manufactured home yesterday. The main panel was wired like a sub. The grounds and neutrals were separated and the neutral bus was isolated from the panel.
    Other than being weird is this a big deal? The sub in the garage had the neutural bus isolated from the panel but the neutrals and ground wires were tied together on the same bus.

As far as the house panel is concerned it might have been wired to be a sub for a trailer court where your main is on a ped or pole…

Have a great day
    I will edit my spelling errors. Not sure what you would call the sub-panel? I'm interested in what the correct term is.
    A main primary power panel, a distribution panel, and/or a sub feeder panel. Not "service equipment", but may be required to meet ratings of same (overcurrent, short circuit, and disconnect, etc.); although service equipment may have separated grounding and grounded busses, that's not abnormal, and as the "code" and "standards" continue in their harmonization with those of our neighbors to the north, may eventually be required.

So far all the panels you described should be supplied via either a feeder or a power cord. Generally so supplied max of 2 throws disconnect/primary protection.

Your descriptions are rather ambiguous (i.e. "house panel"). I would also suggest you review some of your prior topic discussions, other topics you have participated on in the past (even if you deleted your comments), and if terms and descriptions are escaping you, and especially in the "scenerio" you've presented here, that you post PHOTOS.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-30-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Hello all,

Have a great day
    There was likely a shut-off at the meter base... making the panel you call the main actually a "non-service equipment panel" (known to everyone in the world except the very vocal minority on this board as a sub panel).

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    There was likely a shut-off at the meter base... making the panel you call the main actually a "non-service equipment panel" (known to everyone in the world except the very vocal minority on this board as a sub panel).
    There is no shut off at the meter base.

Is is possible the main was the garage panel and the house was actually the sub?