Default TRAP IN MAIN WASTE PIPE

HEY ALL

pipe had proper slope from pvc to copper, but is this trap or loop proper.

thanks

charlie

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: TRAP IN MAIN WASTE PIPE

No. That is a running trap, the inlet and the outlet of the traps are at the same elevation with respect to the trap seal depth.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Bell Guest

And the floor joist shouldn't have been notched like that.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    And the floor joist shouldn't have been notched like that.
    Looks like the joist header above the door is cut into pretty deep as well.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

What would/could be the purpose of that improperly detailed trap ?

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    HEY ALL

pipe had proper slope from pvc to copper, but is this trap or loop proper.

thanks

charlie
    As mentioned, it's a whole house trap. Once common but not so much these days. May not be legal or required where you are. Farther down the line, there is a san-t on its back, that is illegal. Supposed to be a combi.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

The way that whole house trap is pictured it is not legal in most areas. Running traps are allowed as a whole house trap as long it is vented. Here is a recent thread on a plumbing forum showing a properly vented running trap. Best guess as to what this is this is how I see them in the Elgin area of Illinois.

David Bell Guest

In looking at this pic again it seems that an addition to the home was made and fixtures were added without proper venting. The trap was probably installed after the fact because of sewer gasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post
    The way that whole house trap is pictured it is not legal in most areas. Running traps are allowed as a whole house trap as long it is vented. Here is a recent thread on a plumbing forum showing a properly vented running trap. Best guess as to what this is this is how I see them in the Elgin area of Illinois.

That's a neat diagram, I think I've seen it before. It's basically plumbed just like everything I am used to seeing, except that I would hat to have to pay someone to snake it out. Perhaps the house trap should have been inside, in a pit, instead of ? feet beneath the ground.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    That's a neat diagram, I think I've seen it before. It's basically plumbed just like everything I am used to seeing, except that I would hat to have to pay someone to snake it out. Perhaps the house trap should have been inside, in a pit, instead of ? feet beneath the ground.
    Well that diagram is from a very old book. Out closer to Chicago they had running traps buried in the parkway. Rodding them was a challenge if you did not know about them.

Here are the pictures from the other thread and as you can see there is a small access area where you can get to the clean outs of the running trap.

"...they had running traps buried in the parkway."

Maybe it's a regional thing, but, what do you mean by "parkway"?

Around here a parkway is a classy name for highway.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "...they had running traps buried in the parkway."

Maybe it's a regional thing, but, what do you mean by "parkway"?

Around here a parkway is a classy name for highway.
    Parkway is the grassy area between the sidewalk and curb. Also know as ROW (Right of Way)

Hi Ron,

I am aware that they used to locate tyhem outside, and I'm sure that changed because, as you stated; "they were a challage to rod out if you werent aware of them." I'll add; especially when the ground is covered/frozen.

I own a home that was built before the turn of the century (late 1800's). When I bought it the trap was outside. I replumbed the house and located the trap inside.

Is the trap with the access tha same house that you show with the access plate inside?

Hi Ron,

I am aware that they used to locate tyhem outside, and I'm sure that changed because, as you stated; "they were a challage to rod out if you werent aware of them." I'll add; especially when the ground is covered/frozen.

I own a home that was built before the turn of the century (late 1800's). When I bought it the trap was outside. I replumbed the house and located the trap inside.

Is the trap with the access tha same house that you show with the access plate inside?
    The three pictures are the same house. The access plate is inside. That set up is pretty common in Elgin IL area. The area where the traps where installed in the main out in the parkway, 99% of them traps have been dug up and removed. Illinois does not require whole house traps anymore, and in most cities they want them removed.

I understand. In the homes with the traps removed, do they require a cleanout of some type? If so, where?

I understand. In the homes with the traps removed, do they require a cleanout of some type? If so, where?
    Code in Illinois requires a clean out near the foundation either inside or outside. Also there should be a clean out on the stack. Now with that said I have been in homes where there are no clean outs. I do not know if the plumbing inspector was sleeping in that day or what. If the ones that are getting the traps removed on the inside we normally put a clean out tee in its place. If the Running trap is in the parkway we just do a straight repair due to most cities and villages do not want a clean out in the right of way.