Thread: CBS Code

Nick J. Alati Guest

Wink CBS Code

I was working with an agent who could not find her secret CBS code, sat in front of the house for about 1/2 hour and then call SURPA toll free number. Talking to the Tech, he said try inputing the phone number you used when you joined SURPA. I entered my phone number, entered my pass code and for the pass two years I have not had to ask for a CBS code. Give it a try! Nick

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

K Robertson Guest

Default Re: CBS Code

You entered it as the CBS Code?

Ted Menelly Guest

Hmm

I guess I am going to have to try that one.

Mike Boyett Guest

I tried it today....nada...no-go! It would only accept the proper CBS code. Must be another regional thing.

Nick J. Alati Guest

Don't know about the regional thing, all I know is that it works for me and I would recommend everyone try it at least once! Worst thing is, it works!

H.L. ( Buddy ) Ligon 111 Guest

I tried putting my phone # the last few Inspections before I put in the Correct CBS Code and the phone # did Not Work ! Man Sometimes I spend More Time trying to get that code than doing an Inspection ! I think it is Ridiculous that sometimes we have to spend Days getting that Code...I consider myself More Responsible than Most Realtors and do not know why I am subject to such Stupid Rules !! After All in Texas, We are Licensed by the same government Org. as the Realtors ??

Last edited by H.L. ( Buddy ) Ligon 111; 03-29-2011 at 05:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. ( Buddy ) Ligon 111 View Post
    I tried putting my phone # the last few Inspections before I put in the Correct CBS Code and the phone # did Not Work ! Man Sometimes I spend More Time trying to get that code than doing an Inspection ! I think it is Ridiculous that sometimes we have to spend Days getting that Code...I consider myself More Responsible than Most Realtors and do not know why I am subject to such Stupid Rules !! After All in Texas, We are Licensed by the same government Org. as the Realtors ??
    Call your Realtor Association that you are with and ask them if they have done away with the CBS code deal. If they have you just have to go to their office and they will update you SUPRA so all you have to do is press "Obtain Key" and then put in your 4 digit code. I thought everyone did away with the CBS code deal in Texas. I know in DFW there is no longer a CBS code.

We do not have the CBS code in middle TN and life is good!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

CBS code is still alive and well in Knoxville as far as I know. I gave my SUPRA key back a few years ago because it was impossible to get an accurate CBS from anyone.

CBS, or Call Before Showing, is a parameter the box owner sets to limit access to only those they give the code to by programming the lock box itself right from their Supra Key pad. I can't imagine why they would want to limit access but it's an option. Perhaps they don't realize it CAN be set differently? I believe the boxes come from the factory set to accept any key though and have to be programmed for CBS.

Have the agents request the owners of the boxes set them to accept normal access requests and you'll be good to go.

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

In my world, HI's can't be trusted to have access to the house. We wait for a realtor to come and pull the key out of the lockbox and hand it over.
    It is a ridiculous inconvenience for them, too, but they must maintain control.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    In my world, HI's can't be trusted to have access to the house. We wait for a realtor to come and pull the key out of the lockbox and hand it over.
    It is a ridiculous inconvenience for them, too, but they must maintain control.
    The foolishness of it all. The box logs everyone that uses it to get a key. We have to call for an appointment anyway thru CSS in our area or sometimes they will tell us that appointments are thru the listing agent.

Yes, it is a waste of time and ridiculous control over home inspectors. The foolishness of some Reraltors believing the home inspectors just cannot be trusted. When The association I am with finallty voted on no more CBS codes I called to see if the SUPRA could be automatically updated. The Realtor behind the desk actually said (because she did not even know it had been voted on) "Why would you thing we would just let anyone with a SUPRA have access to a home"? Yes I was the one with the SUPRA calling about it and your association has already voted on no more CBS codes. I am just one of those anybodies with more years in this than she would ever have. I have more insurance than she has ever had. Everyone is logged in when they enter the home thru the box to get the key.

It was a total not wanting to give up control over those pesky inspectors. She actually said that it may be time for her to get out of the business. I said "maybe so".

We have a CBS number requirement in place in the Fredericksburg, VA area. The Reality Association controls the program. At one time they stated that affiliates, AKA Home Inspectors, could bypass the CBS requirement if they had at least $1M in liability insurance. Someone actually did that and still wasn't allowed to bypass the CBS. So much for policies.

Problems with it: 1) must belong to the Real Estate Association. 2) Must have serial number of the box 3) Most boxes are programmed not to open before 9AM. 4) You have to call the association, provide ID, and SN to get the CBS number. 5) The Association office has banker's hours or better. 9-5 M-F. No weekends or holidays.

In this area there is another problem. The area I cover includes 5 real estate associations. They do not share data so if you want full coverage you have to belong to 5 different associations (not me). Another issue is one large association uses Sentra Lock not Supra Key. A totally different system.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Man I feel for you guys! I don't know if I could put up with all that crap. Here in SoCal, I just make the Realtor show up to open the house. Occasionally, if it is a vacant one, they will just leave and tell me to lock up. My clients are usually there with their agent in any case. It's not my problem if there is no access. If they book and we cannot get in, I charge them a "time waster fee" and re-set the appointment. They don't do it again!

Same for utilities, no utilities on, 1/2 an inspection for full price and a recall fee to come back. They soon learn that I will not play games and just say "aw shucks, that's too bad". Time is money and If I had not booked this slot for YOU, I would be doing another one so you are costing me money and wasting my time.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504