Thread: Condiminiums

Tony Vargas Guest

Default Condiminiums

Hello to all i have inspected a condo other day subpanel in garage but had no Main panel anywhere around perimeter of condo does anyone know if these are put in like a equipment room somwhere or condos owners just dont have this access?
    Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Condiminiums

Behind the picture in the kitchen

Yes, sometimes the meters and service equipment are in a common utility room, which sometimes is accessible and sometimes is locked. Or, possibly, an enclosed space outside?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Behind the picture in the kitchen
    Behind the cereal boxes in the cabinet.
    Behind the fridge.
    Behind the bedroom door.
    Not behind every friggin picture in the whole blinkin place.

Tony, there is no set rule for where the mains and meters can be found in a condo building. Sometimes there's a cabinet in the hall on each floor.
    In my chilly wet climate, they are never outside, usually down on the main floor or down in the underground garage, behind a locked door. Sometimes we get a key. Sometimes the locks aren't locked.

You can estimate the gauge of the feeder and use that to estimate the capacity of the panel in the unit.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Tony sometimes you just have to ask someone like real estate agent or who ever else is around to get on the horn and find out if it is an issue. If you can't find it how is the buyer going to know where it is and when there is a problem what are they going to do? call you?? if you can't locate it easily then write it up as such as later it could cause them problems too when it really matters

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

I had one like that last week except that I never found the distribution (sub) panel. I tore that house apart. Every picture, every closet. Wall by wall. Moved clothes. Agent was no help. I wrote it up as not found and moved on. In 15 years, that was a first.

JLMathis

Tony Vargas Guest

Thanks for the help i wrote it up as that and yes the realtor was no help.
    Tony

Russel Ray Guest

My most unique situation was when the garage for the townhouse at the end of the building had six meters panels in it for not only his townhouse, but the other five townhouses in that building. I had to knock on the owner's door and have her open her garage to that I could inspect the electric panel. 'Twas weird.