Default Flex gas line running up through ash pit.

I ran across this today. A masonary fireplace fitted with gas logs.
    The "Flex gas" pipe enters the lower section of the chimney (in basment)
    and runs up through the ash pit flue and into the fireplace above.
    Comments on how to write this up?
    It seems as though it would be ok, so long as only the gas logs are used.
    See photos.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Flex gas line running up through ash pit.

I'm not sure about that specific use, but I'd be sure to alert clients to the CSST defective product ruling.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...y-lawsuit.html

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I would call that out as in improper installation. It's charred!! Not foolproof, and looks like BS. Foolproof being the key word. Who is to determine that only gas logs are used. Looks like they had a pig roast in there.

Where's the shut off valve ?

A shut off is present (out of sight)
    I do note the "CSST potential issue", but it is used in a lot of homes in Ohio and I have not yet seen anything prohibiting it.

I was more concerned on what some of you of may write when a gas supply, csst or steel, is running through an ash dump flue, and used only for gas logs.

I was more concerned on what some of you of may write when a gas supply, csst or steel, is running through an ash dump flue, and used only for gas logs.

1) Installation against the ash dump door may damage the casing

2) Csst should not be installed directly below the fire

3) how do you know what someone is going to do when you are not around to tell them it's for gas only?

4) It's wrong, tell them to get someone out to install it right.
    that's what your job is.
    Your does does not entail trying to figure out how to appease the broker and say it's OK

James Duffin Guest

Is there a coupling hidden behind the ash dump door? Some gas logs set comes with a piece of bare CSST and they may have tied that piece to the yellow.

Jack Murdock Guest

Rich,
    It is improper. CSST (no matter what brand) has to be protected when concealed or constrained for at least 6 inches, and must be sleeved going through concrete or masonry. Nor can it be directly connected to a movable appliance. I would also close off the ash pit and make sure the CSST is terminated to a flanged termination attached to the fireplace floor, then a shut off,then an approved appliance connector.

Jack Murdock MGF#3928

Thanks Jack.
    To the point and just what I was looking for!
    I appreciate it.

Some people here just go on and on and on......

James Duffin Guest

That piece of CSST in the firebox may be okay if it was supplied with the gas log set since it is "an approved appliance connector". I agree with the rest of what Jack said.

Jack Murdock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    That piece of CSST in the firebox may be okay if it was supplied with the gas log set since it is "an approved appliance connector". I agree with the rest of what Jack said.
    CSST (any brand) can not be used as a connector between a gas supply and a moveable appliance. CSST has never supplied with a set of gas logs. They sometimes supply the flex connector but looking at that picture the OD is far greater than any flex connector I have ever seen.

Just my opinion.....

James Duffin Guest

I agree again with your opinion. That's why I qualified my answer. I installed two sets of gas logs this past winter and they both came with SS flex connectors. If if matter (or not) I am a licensed plumber.

Cool Re: Flex gas line running up through ash pit.

Jack is correct...................to a point. If an appliance is designed to be moveable, then you should run your *piping* to a flange with an approved shutoff within 6' of the appliance then an approved appliance connector to the appliance valve. Now, many gas logs come with Tapcon screws and holes where the mfr. instructs the installer to anchor them to the floor of the firebox. Regardless, gas logs are not intended to be moveable even if they are.
    The stainless steel appliances connectors that come with some gas appliances are Not CSST--they are connectors, not piping. CSST is piping as far as the codes are concerned. Yes, CSST must be sleeved where it penetrates a masonry wall but in this case that would be in the basement where it enters the ash pit. CSST is Not approved for use in a fireplace with direct exposure to wood burning logs but most mfrs. claim it is ok with them if you connect it directly to the gas logs or fireplace. However, NONE of the CSST mfrs. have tested their product passing through the side of a factory built fireplace that I'm aware of. Once exposed to the heat, the plastic coating would have to be stripped away since it is "combustible".

There should be a sediment trap as close as practical to the appliance and accessible. That usually puts it in the basement at the foundation wall penetration into the ash pit.

Those logs should be pushed back against the rear wall of the firebox. All that crap needs to be cleaned up and the logs properly set.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Another thing to look for is that the damper has hardware that prevents it from closing all the way.

Here's a good one I did a couple weeks ago. The CSST line runs in from gas meter at exterior into chimney chase, thru metal flue and down into firebox. You think this was a handyman special?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/