Default Should be long sweep?

This fitting is not the proper fitting for a sink drain line transition to horizontal, is it?

I thought this fitting was to be used for a vent riser, like in the pipe behind it, but I could be wrong. Drain fittings are not my strongest area.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Should be long sweep?

Here is what the NC codes says. It looks like you are correct if you are in NC.

Attached Files Attached Files

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

You are correct in that the fittings pictured are wrong in the installation.

That/those (both the foreground and what is behind it) fittings are San-Tee (sanitary tee) and they have been installed "on its (their) back(s)", that is never allowed, period.

I agree with the santee problem, but I think I see another problem. Is that a bushing on the tee in the foreground? One, in Colorado, you can't bush in the horizontal, and two, if that is a bushing, it's barely in the hub.

Steve

Cleanout hub.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

In addition to the San-T being on it's back which is not allowed, it appears that the vertical pipe is 2 inch feeding into a 1-1/2 inch horizontal line. Reduction in size is also not allowed. (unless this vertical is a vent?)

The typical convention is:
    Horizontal to vertical down = medium sweep.
    H to H = long sweep

Vent system fittings in most cases can be short sweep unless it is a "wet vented" system which is a special circumstance and not usually allowed.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Yes the sanitary T as installed would be "not permitted" per BC rules and probably everyone else's because of the greater tendency for solids and sludge buildup with the sudden change of direction.

Where does the pipe size reduce from 2 to 1-1/2?

I had not heard of three lengths of sweeps before (short, medium and long) as I thought I had only seen two types: short sweep for horizontal drain pipe to vertical drain pipe, or a vertical dry vent T'ed to a horizontal drain pipe; long sweep for vertical wet pipe to a horizontal wet pipe, or a direction change of a horizontal wet pipe to a horizontal wet pipe.

Not sure if I am misreading the comment about wet venting would be a special circumstance that is not allowed? As long as the direction changes in wet vent pipes have the sweeps required for drain pipe direction changes, and the lengths and sizes of the drains and vents are appropriate then wet vents are allowed and very common..

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    In addition to the San-T being on it's back which is not allowed, it appears that the vertical pipe is 2 inch feeding into a 1-1/2 inch horizontal line. Reduction in size is also not allowed. (unless this vertical is a vent?)

The typical convention is:
    Horizontal to vertical down = medium sweep.
    H to H = long sweep

Vent system fittings in most cases can be short sweep unless it is a "wet vented" system which is a special circumstance and not usually allowed.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Horizontal to vertical drainage flow generally incorporates a bend.

If you review the definitions for a bend and a sweep, you'll identify some distinctions.

Maintaining the proper slope for the horizontal arm, branch, etc. is essential. So does securing and supporting the dwv system.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Norman View Post
    Yes the sanitary T as installed would be "not permitted" per BC rules and probably everyone else's because of the greater tendency for solids and sludge buildup with the sudden change of direction.

Where does the pipe size reduce from 2 to 1-1/2?

It may just be a perspective thing. The vertical pipe looks bigger though.

I had not heard of three lengths of sweeps before (short, medium and long) as I thought I had only seen two types: short sweep for horizontal drain pipe to vertical drain pipe, or a vertical dry vent T'ed to a horizontal drain pipe; long sweep for vertical wet pipe to a horizontal wet pipe, or a direction change of a horizontal wet pipe to a horizontal wet pipe.

There are actually 4 types of bends: vent, short, medium and long sweep. Drainage "sweep" fitting are "flowed" to facilitate the movement of effluent. They also have an off set built in so that slope can be maintained without torquing the pipe in the socket.
    Vent fitting are not flowed as it is not needed since they do not deal with liquid.(normally)

Not sure if I am misreading the comment about wet venting would be a special circumstance that is not allowed? As long as the direction changes in wet vent pipes have the sweeps required for drain pipe direction changes, and the lengths and sizes of the drains and vents are appropriate then wet vents are allowed and very common..
    By definition, a wet vent is any portion of a vent line that is use as a drain as well. In the cases where it is permitted (very limited) the rules are that the the vent portion used as a drain must be 2 pipe sizes larger than normally required. This allows the area above the flow line of the pipe, nominally 1/3 of the pipe depth, to be used as a vent. The wet vented fixture must be on the same level or floor as the primary fixture drain it is using. You will see this setup in "combination waste and vent systems" used for floor drains and floor sinks in places like processing plants and food stores where drain fixtures are out in the middle of the floor space with no wall near by for a conventional vent.

I hope I was clear. It's been a few years since I actually ran a shovel and hung pipe.

There is a lot more to plumbing than "Sh** flows down hill, payday is on Friday and don't put your fingers in your mouth".

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

The 2006 National Standard Plumbing Code didn't appear to include definitions of bend and sweep but Table 2.3.1 is relevant, for example for a right angle horizontal to horizontal drain in plastic, acceptable fittings include "a 90-deg long-turn elbow" or a "long-sweep 1/4 bend". For a vertical to horizontal drain in the same material the permissible fittings include a long radius TY, a 45-deg elbow + 45-deg Wye, a long sweep, and a 90-deg quarter bend that is not a short radius fitting unless it's for an individual fixture.

I had thought the sweep was the measure of the sharpness of the change in direction, and the bend the actual fitting, but per the table it appears that a long sweep can either be an adjective describing a bend, or a fitting itself.

It's all one size. The pipe behind it is a vent. This one is the lav sink drain from the bathroom.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA