Default What size conductor is this ?

Can some of you more experienced inspectors take a look at the service entrance conductors in this main panel and tell what size they are?

That's a 100 amp main disconnect. The conductors were in a SEC labeled cable but I could not access any size labeling on the cable sheath or individual wires.

That's a 4/0 awg sample I keep in my bag I'm holding there on top of the breaker for the photo as a comparison.

Also, what is the smallest conductor size that is available as SEC cable ?

I need to go get a few more samples for my bag....like 2 awg for this case.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: What size conductor is this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Can some of you more experienced inspectors take a look at the service entrance conductors in this main panel and tell what size they are?

That's a 100 amp main disconnect. The conductors were in a SEC labeled cable but I could not access any size labeling on the cable sheath or individual wires.

That's a 4/0 awg sample I keep in my bag I'm holding there on top of the breaker for the photo as a comparison.

Thanks.
    I sure hope not.

Roger Frazee Guest

Thanks.
    If this is the service equipment panel and this is a single family dwelling then if properly sized for 100 amps using table 310.15b6 an aluminum service entrance conductor would be # 2 awg.

As for telling bu just looking at that photo would be sheer guess work.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Thanks.
    I can't make out any ungrounded conductor just your "sample" straned 4/0 AL. You are aware there are compact conductors, surely.

The smallest conductors able to be LISTED as Service-Entrance Cable Type SE, Type USE, or Type USE-2 would be 14 AWG Copper or Copper-Clad Aluminum and 12 AWG Aluminum.

I suggest you acquire or download the UL Marking Guide for Wire and Cable, and the Scope of UL 854. The UL Category Code for

Service Entrance Cable Article 338, Guide Info Type TYLZ
    Types SE DRY Temp Note (14) wet temp -
    USE DRY Temp 75 Note (1) wet temp 75 (1) wire evalu for use at 90C dry and wet is marked with suffix "-2" after type designation.
    USE-2 DRY Temp 90 Wet temp 90
    SERVICE ENTRANCE CABLE (TYLZ)
    GENERAL
    This category covers service entrance cable designated type SE and Type USE for use in accordance with Article 338 of ANSI/NFPA 70, "National Electrical Code" (NEC).
    Service entrance cable, rated 600 V, is Listed in sizes 14 AWG and larger for copper, and 12 AWG and larger for aluminum or copper-clad aluminum. Type SE cable contains Type RHW, RHW-2, XHHW, XHHW-2, THWN or THWN-2 conductors. Type USE cable contains conductors with insulation equivalent to RHW or XHHW. Type USE-2 contains insulation equivalent to RHW-2 or XHHW-2 and is rated 90 degrees C wet or dry.
    The cable is designated as follows:
    Type SE -- Indicates cable for aboveground installaton. Both the individual insulated conductors and the outer jacket or finish of Type SE are suitable for use where exposed to sun.
    Type USE and USE-2 -- Indicates cable for underground installation including direct burial in the earth. Cable in sizes 4/0 AWG and smaller and having all conductors insulated is suitable for all of the underground uses for which Type UF cable is permitted by the NEC. Types USe and USE-2 are not suiable for use in premises or aboveground except to terminate at the service equipment or metering equipment. Both the insulation and the outer covering, when used, on single and multiconductor Types USE and USE-2, are suitable for use where exposed to sun.
    Submersible Water Pump Cable -- Indicates a multiconductor cable in which 2, 3, or 4 singleconductor Type USE or USE-2 cables are provided in a flat or twisted assembly. The cable is Listed in sizes 14 AWG to 4/0 AWG inclusive, copper, and 12 AWG to 4/0 AWG inclusive, aluminum or copperclad aluminum. The cable is tag marked "For use within the well casing for wing deep well water pumps where the cable is not subject to repetitive handling caused by frequent servicing of the pump units."
    The insulation may also be surface marked "Pump Cable." The cable may be directly buried in the earth in conjunction with this use.
    For termination information, see Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary Loacations (AALZ).
    Based upon tests which have been made involving the maximum heating that can be produced, an uninsulated conductor employed in a service cable assembly is considered to have the same current carrying capacity as the insulated conuctors even though it may be smaller in size.
    PRODUCT MARKINGS
    The Type designation of the conductors may be marked on the surface of the cable. When used, this marking indicates that the temperature rating for the cable corresponds to the temperature rating of the conductors. When this marking does not appear, the temperature rating of the cable is 75 degrees C.
    Cable acceptable for installation in cable trays is so marked.
    Cable may employ copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum conductors. Cable with copper-clad aluminum conductors is surface printed "AL (CU-CLAD)" or "Cu-Clad Al." Cable with aluminum conductors is suface printed "AL."