C.Johnson Guest

Wink Does this mean I'm in the Club?

Was labeled a Deal Killer because the Seller would not negotiate with the buyer over the electrical issues with the house.

110 yr old home, flipped... States in listing that all electric is new!

Every outlet but maybe 2-3 was either open ground or reverse polarity...and the main panel was not inspected due to the fact they drywalled over the panel cover, you could open door to work breakers but could not remove the panel cover.

It should be noted that the listing agent and buyers agent are from same office!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Does this mean I'm in the Club?

Wear the badge with Honor You did your due diligence to your client and reported the issues as you saw them. Whether the home sells or not is not our concern, our concern is reporting the condition of the home and fully informing our client as to the condition of the home....it is then up to them to make the decision to continue with the purchase with or without concessions. You will be able to sleep tonight with a clear conscience. It is interesting that the Buying Agent and the Selling Agent is out of the same office....Collusion Much??

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by C.Johnson View Post
    It should be noted that the listing agent and buyers agent are from same office!
    Hey, that's nothing! There are 2 home inspectors in my area whose wives are agents!

Was labeled a Deal Killer ... snipped...
    Welcome to the club! I dedicated a page on my web site on obtaining the label.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Talking Re: Does this mean I'm in the Club?

One is not a legitimate home inspector until designated a "Deal Buster" by the listing agent. (or any agent for that matter)

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

You'll really be a FULL member when a seller calls you and says they are going to sue you because the deal fell thru.

My wife is an 18 year veteran Real Estate sales professional. My nickname around here is "deal killer". Wouldn't have it any other way!

If a qualified inspector presents a fair and honest assessment of a property and is then labeled as a "deal killer" then I'll wager that it was done by someone who did not have a client's best interest in mind. Even if not earned, the term is a cloud over you and can compromise your income potential. No business owner I know wants bad press and such a classification would be no badge of honor for me. That being said, I'm not sure that any of us can escape such labeling once in a while.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

CONGRATULATIONS !

The electric may be new, but that does not mean that it was done correctly.
    Were there permits stickers on the panel ???
    Did the buyer authorize the release your report to the buyer's agent , the seller and seller's agent????
    If so then they are aware of defects that have to be disclosed to potential buyers.
    You may be in for some court time in the future, get your appearance fees figured out
    now. The buyer of the property may be looking for you to go after the seller and the seller's agent and brokerage for undisclosed known defects in the property.

Eric, I agree that such labeling could have a negative impact on your income potential... if you were only relying on referrals from agents. On the other hand, if you gain a reputation as a no nonsense, call it like you see it, report what you see and let the chips fall where they may kind of inspector, it can only serve to solidify your standing as a professional and referrals from former clients are now your primary source of leads. If I am going to err, I would rather err on the side of caution as to err on the side of compromise. Do I want to be labeled a "Deal Killer"?, well no, none of us do. I want to see people realize their dream of owning their own home and being proud to be property owners. But I want to ensure that they are purchasing a Dream and not a Nightmare. If I kill a deal, I can only hope it was for the right reasons....in the best interest of my clients.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

You wil also notic that brokers who haven't used you in years due to you f'n up the deal will call you ouut of the blue to inspect their daughters house.
    " Oh, nice to hear from you again, Thanks I do my best, sorry , can't help you, Why don't you call the guy you replaced me with 5 years ago" click

You may feel violated for a while but you will get over it.

Had an agent tell me he had been in the business for 5 years and this was the first deal he lost due to an inspection. (Roof cover was 1935 original gravel over asphalt with big mounds of gravel and bare spots); I told him I had been in the business for 15 years and I personally had never failed a home, I just report the conditions and the home passes of fails on its one. I think that agent is now selling used cars.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Here's an excerpt from an e-mail I received 3 years ago from my client's realtor (who gave the buyer my name) about a deal that fell through......which she blamed on me.

I would have never guessed that I would lose a sale on a 2 year old home. She and I went into that inspection excited. I left with a terrible feeling inside that she would come out of that inspection traumatized and I was correct. I have never lost a home on an inspection of a newer home like that one. I am not faulting you for being thorough. I am faulting you for not giving the emotional “okay” to calm a first time buyer as you go along. I’m not use to that. I find the home inspectors compliment and compliment wherever they can. That home had three heaters – something unheard of in that price range – all that was talked about were “stains” on the heater. I was even frightened at that inspection. Take a tip from an “old time agent” – when you find negatives combat it with positives!!! There were many positives of that home and I don’t remember them being emphasized at all. There are calming things that I think could have been said during the process

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Take a tip from an “old time agent” – when you find negatives combat it with positives!!!
    If the agent's remark, if taken at face value, and not applied to the inspection that Nick did, there's a valid point to be found. As inspectors we are hired to find concerns and when we do we need to maintain a perspective for the client. A home can have many positive attributes that can help offset the concerns. When tunnel vision gets involved the overall picture is not being fully considered.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Here's an excerpt from an e-mail I received 3 years ago from my client's realtor (who gave the buyer my name) about a deal that fell through......which she blamed on me. .. snipped...
    Nick DUUUUDDDDE, you mean you didn't help her sell the home? You mean you didn't tell the client the blue lips, headaches, and dizziness she was experiencing was due to new carpet and paint fumes not Carbon Monoxide poisoning? Dude, what's a little water among friends? You, the agent, the buyer, and me - we're all buds right?

I had an inspection canceled due to some title issue but I had started a Radon test 2 days before the inspection so I could get all reports out at the same time. I went to the house to pickup the radon gear. An agent was with a couple at the house next door but standing in front of the townhouse I had to go into. She was from one of the larger outfits in the area. Actually looked like a glamor photo too. Me - I'm always in marketing mode, introduced myself to everyone, passed out my neat plastic cards. The agents says she's probably seen me around her office. I told her, "I don't think so. I don't hang out at real estate offices. I wouldn't know what to do if I went to one." I get this funny look from her. Gee - I don't know why

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

C.Johnson Guest

UPDATE>
    The best part is, the client found me..This was Not a referral from the agent, but the agent still felt the need to express themselves I guess.
    Now the client has a new agent and asked me for another inspection on a new property they found.
    I guess it goes to show, respect the client and they will respect you. Who lost the Deal now? lol

UPDATE>
    The best part is, the client found me..This was Not a referral from the agent, but the agent still felt the need to express themselves I guess.
    Now the client has a new agent and asked me for another inspection on a new property they found.
    I guess it goes to show, respect the client and they will respect you. Who lost the Deal now? lol
    That's the true goal. Screw the agent. You gained the confidence of the client by looking out for their interests

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

The agent wanted me to not only inspect but also help ensure the sale went through. I don't necessarily agree that it's our job to compliment the house but that may be personal preference or or an individual's inspection style. My job as a home inspector is to assess the condition of the house and bring defects and concerns to light. To me, people can see right through it if you say stuff like "wow, look at that view" or "you're going to love it here" or "that's a beautiful kitchen". I just remind my buyers after finding defects that everything is correctable. It just comes down to money and time, time and money. I don't like seeing a deal fall through but at the end of the day, I don't care if somebody does or doesn't buy the house. Just understand what it is you are buying.

A couple sentences from that e-mail always stood out for me.......I am faulting you for not giving the emotional “okay” to calm a first time buyer as you go along. I’m not use to that. I find the home inspectors compliment and compliment wherever they can.

I replied to the agent that I am not there to sooth anybody's feelings or help refocus them on the sale. If their mind races when I point out defect after defect after defect on a 2 year old house, that is them experiencing their own misgivings about a house where quality control was obviously lacking during the construction phases. And as for the bit about "I find the home inspectors compliment and compliment wherever they can", I said that maybe it's because those inspectors are trying to get future referrals and business from her and that my roles as a home inspector does not include me trying to sway or influence the buyer's feelings about the house.

The agent was particularly stung by this sale deteriorating because this took place in the absolute pit of the recession when the housing market was in the toilet. The house was selling for $600,000 and she was really counting on the commission, which she did say.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Tony Vargas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Smith View Post
    Wear the badge with Honor You did your due diligence to your client and reported the issues as you saw them. Whether the home sells or not is not our concern, our concern is reporting the condition of the home and fully informing our client as to the condition of the home....it is then up to them to make the decision to continue with the purchase with or without concessions. You will be able to sleep tonight with a clear conscience. It is interesting that the Buying Agent and the Selling Agent is out of the same office....Collusion Much??

great job

I had one today that the agent tells the client " I had to give you 3 names to pick from and you picked him so......"
    Client was happy, Realtor not so much.
    Where did they ever get the 3 referral thing?
    I've reversed that on several Realtors and they go crazy when I say "hey I got a friend wanting to buy a house and I'm thinking of giving your name as one of the three referrals. I hope he picks you cause your the best.
    Have another beer Ricky it's Friday!

PS had to post, got the message.

Last edited by Rick Vernon; 04-22-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: speel chex
    If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Vernon View Post
    Snip ...
    Where did they ever get the 3 referral thing?
    I've reversed that on several Realtors and they go crazy when I say "hey I got a friend wanting to buy a house and I'm thinking of giving your name as one of the three referrals. I hope he picks you cause your the best.. snip
    The choice of three gets them past the ethics and liability issues. After all, it was the client's choice. I like the turn-around question. I'll have to remember that one. Thanks!

Last edited by Stuart Brooks; 04-23-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    If the agent's remark, if taken at face value, and not applied to the inspection that Nick did, there's a valid point to be found. As inspectors we are hired to find concerns and when we do we need to maintain a perspective for the client. A home can have many positive attributes that can help offset the concerns. When tunnel vision gets involved the overall picture is not being fully considered.
    When I am doing a walk around with the clients I always talk of the nice granite, nice yard, nice pool, great trim work etc but that is not to sell the home it is because it had a nice pool, trim work, yard, nice granite etc. While talking of a concern I just talk of the concern because it needs addressing.

It is not our job in the slightest to sell or condemn a home. It is our job to go over the home in the time allotted and sometimes have to stretch that time to find the factors (and yes, most negative) that will have a financial impact on the home which includes whether the home is worth it or not. Of course we are not going to tell them that we do not think the home is worth it. That is entirely up to them.

I am not going to talk about the rotting corpse of the bunny in the closet and then say "But look at that great granite." No, I never found a rotted corpse of a bunny. A rat or a mouse at times or skeletons of animals in a crawl or attic (and yes it is our job to tell them of the rotting corpses we found in the crawl. But hey, look at that beautiful pool. Yeah, right.

This Realtor has been working with inspectors that literally make the sale for her because that inspector has made a small fortune over her referrals. That inspector does address the rotting bunny but then lightens the load and either quickly changes the subject and addresses something nice about the home. Itg is not our job to scare OR take away the adverse affects of concerns in the home. It is our job to address those concerns in a professional manner whicj I am sure Nick did.

That is why the Realtors should not be involved in a home inspection in the slightest. There should not be any referral to any inspector or list of inspectors ever. There total thought process is hell bent on selling the home. Whether they or anyone else believes that they have no influence in the slightest, good bad or indifferent, is having serious nightmares.

Any influence .... no involvement. To protect buyers from unsavory sellers (all have one thing in mind. To sell their home). From protect the clients from their Realtor having any influence .... ban them entirely from the home inspection process.