Default getting the phone to ring

Just wondering if I am doing all I should be to get my name out there. I have passd my cards to any and everyone and went to all the local real estate companies to introduce myself. I just recently put my name in the phone book for the two biggest towns around me and also on the yellow book site. I did also get my web site up and running. I just started to advertise in Feb so I know it will take some time but wanted to know if you guys have an other suggestions for me to get my name out there. I live next to 2 towns of about 8000 people and then several towns around me including mine that are 1000 or under. Closest inspectors around me are about 45 miles and focus on the big towns. Any help would be great!!!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

Default Re: getting the phone to ring

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    Just wondering if I am doing all I should be to get my name out there. I have passd my cards to any and everyone and went to all the local real estate companies to introduce myself. I just recently put my name in the phone book for the two biggest towns around me and also on the yellow book site. I did also get my web site up and running. I just started to advertise in Feb so I know it will take some time but wanted to know if you guys have an other suggestions for me to get my name out there. I live next to 2 towns of about 8000 people and then several towns around me including mine that are 1000 or under. Closest inspectors around me are about 45 miles and focus on the big towns. Any help would be great!!!
    Do you know how the home sales market is in you area?

How many homes sold last month?

Even though other inspectors might be 45 miles away, how many home inspectors are working in your area?

How long have you been in business?

It takes time to establish any business and a home inspection business is no different. I had to reestablish my business in a new location(State) in July 2006 after working and establishing my market share for over 10+ years. I'm just now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and I knew what to do and what not to do! I also live in a area with a population of 25,000 but I serve an area of about 1M. I compete with about 40 inspectors in my market area. Last month right at 1,800 homes were sold in my area and I inspected 23 of them.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thanks scott. What kinds of things do you mean when you say you know what to do and what not to do? That would really help me out.

E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

mathew stouffer Guest

Try and build some personal relationships. Go have a drink at the bars in the area. You would be surprised how many agents you meet Plus all of the really sucessful agents let their assistants book the inspections, so you have to get to know them. Worked for me. Also agents love free stuff, host an open house or happy hour. That one works really well but can get spendy. Face to face time is key, no one wants a card. Thats been my experience.

If you take a shower late in the morning... your phone will ring. If you stop to eat lunch.. same thing. Upon climbing in an attic or crawlspace... you guessed it, it'll ring. Or when you visit "the facilities"... it'll ring then too.

Short of that, I would say one of the most reliable ways of making or keeping my phone ringing is a well written report. Our Home Inspection reports float around to all sorts of folks... and this has nothing to do with software, but if the content that you write is direct and easy-to-understand... you'd be surprised @ the next person who's calling.

Ted Menelly Guest

8000 people is not near enough to get any business. You need to advertise much farther out in larger communities as in ten and tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people living in them. Is there building going on around you. If not then the folks there are far less likely to move up in homes and the likelihood of other folks moving into their old homes is pretty slim as well.

Population is key. I can bet that every one of the Realtors around you have been referring other inspectors since they started.

I hate to even say this but you need to order pizzas for the Realtor offices around you and have your info right next to them, repeatedly. Go back and ask them how you could get their business. What you need to do is everything I should do but cannot make myself do .... Market Realtors heavily. It will be the only way you will survive. Everyone of them has to see you as a permanent fixture and a way of life.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Spargo View Post
    If you take a shower late in the morning... your phone will ring. If you stop to eat lunch.. same thing. Upon climbing in an attic or crawlspace... you guessed it, it'll ring. Or when you visit "the facilities"... it'll ring then too.

Short of that, I would say one of the most reliable ways of making or keeping my phone ringing is a well written report. Our Home Inspection reports float around to all sorts of folks... and this has nothing to do with software, but if the content that you write is direct and easy-to-understand... you'd be surprised @ the next person who's calling.
    Tim's tricks work for me too. Stuff your mouth full of food, take a nap, go to the bathroom. All of these get my phone to ring.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    Thanks scott. What kinds of things do you mean when you say you know what to do and what not to do? That would really help me out.
    Ahh Grasshopper, that comes with experience and knowledge!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Eric, I think what Scott is saying is you need to experiment. Some things will work and some won't. Some things will be a waste of money and some won't. There is no set formula as different things work in different areas of the country. The Yellow Pages is a good way to throw money away around here. In other areas, they might work very well.

It's all about experimenting and getting creative.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

"I hate to even say this but you need to order pizzas for the Realtor offices "

I would think that the quality of delivery pizzas in your area is much the same as the quality of delivery pizzas in my area. If that is true, WHY would you want to give out pizzas?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "I hate to even say this but you need to order pizzas for the Realtor offices "

I would think that the quality of delivery pizzas in your area is much the same as the quality of delivery pizzas in my area. If that is true, WHY would you want to give out pizzas?
    I don't give out pizzas and never had. If you read into how I started it you would see it was a bit sarcastic. I actually know a few that do this and it actually works. I also, almost never, market to Realtors. On occasion I throw my name out there but nothing on a budgeted type marketing campaign. More of a "Hey, its me, give me a call" type thing so when they hear the name elsewhere they will know who that person is talking about.

Name, website, number type of once or twice a year thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I don't give out pizzas and never had.
    Ted is more of a stromboli or calzone type of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I don't give out pizzas and never had .. snipped....
    I understand doughnuts, brownies, cookies, chocolates work well.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Ahh Grasshopper, that comes with experience and knowledge!
    Eric: You will probably do either too much of the useless type of promotions and not enough of that which produces results until you learn what works in your area. It won't take long before your phone will be ringing regularly with calls from somebody who has some kind of promotional gimmick to sell you. Take a look at your web site. Does it look like everybody elses site? Did you put together information yourself or pay some hack site to quickly put one up for you? While you are sitting around waiting for business to come to you, Try going to the business. Go to open houses. See houses with FOR SALE signs on them, put a hanger on the door, or cards and a pamphlet if you have one in a clear plastic bag. Do research, look at web sites, take some online courses. Are you a member of an real inspector association, i.e., ASHI or NAHI. Have you taken and passed the NHIE? You don't get instant certification with either but instant certification isn't worth much IMHO. Here's a trick I've not done but have heard about. Find a top producer at a real estate office. Offer to do a free inspection for a seller. Hmm, I think that was a Nicko suggestion sometime ago. Might want to forget that one.
    Good luck!

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Just spam the heck out of the agents.... soon, they'll call you to stop the spamming, then you can close'em. Belly to belly, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Offer to do a free inspection for a seller. Hmm, I think that was a Nicko suggestion sometime ago. Might want to forget that one.
    Good luck!
    Just to clarify, the Nicko Stuart refers to is Nick Gromicko from INAcHI and not me.

Thanks a lot guys. All great info. I plan on getting on this stuff right away. Again I say that this forum and you guys are great.

E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

INMO you can feed and entertain the Realtors all you want. The first time you have to give an honest report on a dump property you too will be known as the "Deal Killer". All the goodies you gave the Realtors before that will be quickly forgotten.

Alpha Home Inspections
    417- 334-7047