STEVEN CHUNG Guest

Default Return Register on Ceiling

I just inspected a home where the register was placed right next to the attic access opening. The register cover is literally being used to hold up one side of the access cover. I couldn't information about clearance on this. Is something wrong with this picture?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Return Register on Ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEN CHUNG View Post
    I just inspected a home where the register was placed right next to the attic access opening. The register cover is literally being used to hold up one side of the access cover. I couldn't information about clearance on this. Is something wrong with this picture?
    Well if you posted a picture we could tell you!

If you have a picture go ahead and post it, a picture is worth a 1000 words as the old saying goes..

If the return filter holder is holding the attic access up, I would call that a problem. I don't think the filter holder is designed to do that..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

STEVEN CHUNG Guest

Sorry, I don't have a pic of it, but I did note it in my report. Thanks for the input.

Is the attic insulated? Was the return ducted and insulated. There are a lot more questions about the setup.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Generally,

Returns have (or should have) Grills (grilles)

Supplies may have Registers (to register, direct, moderate).

The ceiling finish and access scuttle opening framing, panel, etc. are to protect the roof assembly. The duct work and opening area around same should be finished to maintain integrity of the ceiling finish. If I'm understanding your post correctly, there is space between the duct work and the access opening trim which is devoid of stopping or blocking material and also devoid of ceiling finish material, that would be wrong.

HTH.