Default Ancient Electric Furnace

Found this electric furnace in an attic today. I can't find any info about it. Anyone know how old this thing is? International Heater Company, Model #EF-60-3, Serial #6393. Is this a 1963 model? Yes it works.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Ancient Electric Furnace

Probably is a 1963. When was the house built?
    Good news is that it is just as efficient as a new one, 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Good news is that it is just as efficient as a new one, 100%
    I would not go so far as to say that it is as efficient as a new unit. Multi sequence elements, multi speed fans, higher efficiency insulating and air flow channels in newer units do make them much more efficient than units of the age of the equipment pictured.
    I get what you mean, but saying that to a client who will end up replacing this unit could cause some hard feelings. When the HVAC contractor shows the client how much efficiency has improved on this type heating equipment in the last fifty years they may just start looking for someone to hang the cost on...

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

I've only seem one electric furnace in my life. (just don't seem to use them in PA) It looked like it hasn't been functional since before the dawn of time.
    Anyway, someone mentioned that it is 100% efficient.
    But even though they are very efficent, do they not require a awful lot of electricity to function.
    I'd look this up but it's easier to ask someone smarter thane me.

James Duffin Guest

I would tell my clients to check some power bills. In my area that furnace would cost $1.98/hr to operate but a heat pump with a 13 SEER rating at 40 degrees would cost $.62 to operate with the same BTU output.

Jim, thanks for the info.