adamski Guest

Default Electrical panel replacing

hi I'm a licensed contractor with no electrical license, recently I have bought a house witch has an old panel, my plan is to replace it for new one, can I do the job my self as long as I get the permit from the city?? I live in ontario Thank you.

I have heard from a friend of mine that as long as you a home owner you can apply for permit and do the job yourself, is this truth??

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Electrical panel replacing

You can in NC...not sure about Canada...

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Most areas in the lower 48 may allow usually ONLY for owner Occupants for work otherwise requiring a license, still requiring permit and inspections, and generally only those not planing to sell or rent the premisis in the near/foreseable future (usually six months or so following the completion work) and actually, legitimately personally occupying the premises as their legal residence, before and after completion of the work.

You'll have to ask the local Electrical Service Authority and coordinate with them if you may. Whether or not you can is another question entirely.

DIY, Homeowner, Homebuyer questions belong in that special area of the board, not on the technical areas of the forum. You may find your topic question has been moved to that area in the future.

Only the local building department can tell you for sure. In many areas, a home owner can do a lot of work on their own house. Some areas will not allow a home owner change out an electrical panel.

Be sure and notify your family and loved ones of where your life insurance policies are located prior to that electrical panel replacement.

You just never know....

rick

You were asking about your service before. You need to install a 200 amp main breaker in your new panel.
    You need to know if the service drop from Ontario Hydro is adequate. If it is only 100 amp service, you will need a new meter can or meter box, installed, as well as new weatherhead and service mast if it is overhead service. Give them a call and ask them if you have 200 amp service to the house.
    In BC, a homeowner can install the service components, as well as the panel, but the city electrical inspector for your area will have the final say. He is the person you need to talk to. Post a pic or two here (640 X480) of the weatherhead or service conductors entering the panel, and we can help you determine what you have for service.

There is a lot to know about installing the meter box and a service mast. Get it wrong, and you will be buying the most expensive parts all over again. Splices are not allowed. Ask lots of questions before you start.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Straight answer....you'll save time, lost sleep, but not money

Hire a licensed electrician

adamski,
    The real question is what is your level of competence/experience in doing electrical work?

Electrical work safety is more about what not to do.

Also, are your able to understand and meet your local code requirements.

Michael Russell Guest

Adamski Tell me which part you don't get

Training and regulation of trade

In most countries, the job of an electrician is a regulated trade for safety reasons due to the many hazards of working with electricity, requiring testing, registration, or licensing. Licensing of electricians is controlled through government and/or professional societies.

And no you cannot do electrical work in Canada if you are not a Certified Electrician. And nowhere in the Canadian Electrical Code does it say that any one can do Electrical work other than qualified persons or does any electrical authority which stresses the need for qualified people to do the work

And if its not they won't connect their utilities if its a new install. also another point if its a retro If there is no safety switch like the old days you have to disconnect from the utilities (or do this live BAD CHOICE) which requires a permit from an electrical contractor which i doubt he will sign one off to you and let you do the work under their company name and take full responsibility for your work as an Electrician.

Then we get to the insurance company, once you burn down some ones house, business or even kill someone. Once they find out you did the work well i do hope you have a big wad of cash cause the electrical company coming in to inspect the whole house will be 3 to 5 times the cost if you had brought one in,in the first place

Sorry for the speech but its not just a matter of changing a wall outlet
    and do not be encouraged by others telling you , you can do the job

adamski Guest

Thanks for all replies, so it been more than 2 months now,
    I got the permit from the city, I have changed the panel my self everything went smooth got it inspected an passed.

Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post
    Thanks for all replies, so it been more than 2 months now,
    I got the permit from the city, I have changed the panel my self everything went smooth got it inspected an passed.
    Thanks for the update, that is a rare courtesy here. Congrats. Save that paperwork.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca