Thread: Mess

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Mess

Shortly after realizing that the house of my afternoon inspection today had a crawlspace (very cramped and dirty), I discovered I had no jumpsuit or knee pads in the car (where they are I don't know). In any event, this crawlspace was a disaster: heavy heavy heavy fungal growth, extensive dry rot from water damage on ends of joists, sill plates, and rim joists, compression on bottom of center beam bearing on top of brick turned on it's side, rotting and inadequate framing for the whilrpool tub and the modified floor framing. Enjoy.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Mess

More.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Did I mention there was a Porsche in the garage?

Jason Welch Guest

Good thing you still went in there even though you had no protective gear..

Tim Moreira Guest

The Porsche looks to be kept in the same shape

william siegel Guest

Kudos to you Nick. I know a lot of inspectors who would not have gone under that and made up some (lame) excuse.

Also looks llike subterranean termites on one of those first pics.

Tim Moreira Guest

Well.....

I'd say that there is a moisture issue in there.

Ya think?

Richard Rushing Guest

I'm a big dumb-azz too, Nick. If I forget my bag of crawl-goodies, I'll still take the plunge like a fool-- yeah even without a respirator .

If anything in this job is a learning experience, forgetting or not bringing the crawl-gear is a crash-course in inspecting 101. I now carry some disposable crawl coveralls (ShueBee) under the back seat of the truck for back-up.

The very worse thing any of us can do is to go splunkering under homes without the right protective equipment, i.e.; breathing apparatus, pads, clothing, pads, etc... Some of these old home have previously been treated with some pretty nasty pesticides (Chloridane comes to mind).

I feel your pain. Been there done that!

I just hope you had your respirator with you...

Rich

Martin lehman Guest

Nick, what was your recommendation to the buyers???

Run away and don't look back. I didn't use those exact words but I didn't mince words either. I told them it was a mess and give them the option to end the inspection right then and there. I offered to knock $100 off the fee as I hadn't gotten into the rest of the house yet. They discussed it and opted to forge ahead with the rest of the inspection. They were probaly looking at $20,000+ in repairs just in the crawlspace.