Default What are these connector things on the brick veneer for ?

Can anybody shed some light on what these little cylindrical connectors are for? They are on brick veneer on a house built in 1963. There was no consistent pattern to their location to help me speculate on their purpose. Some were high up some were mid wall, some by the window shutters some not etc. They are applied to the brick surface as you can see in the picture since some of them have fallen off.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: What are these connector things on the brick veneer for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Can anybody shed some light on what these little cylindrical connectors are for? They are on brick veneer on a house built in 1963. There was no consistent pattern to their location to help me speculate on their purpose. Some were high up some were mid wall, some by the window shutters some not etc. They are applied to the brick surface as you can see in the picture since some of them have fallen off.

Thanks.
    They are for climbing rose bushes or other vine like plants that do not have the ability to stick to the surface it is climbing.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Neat....Thank you Scott....are they some type of epoxy ? and do you know how they are applied ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Neat....Thank you Scott....are they some type of epoxy ? and do you know how they are applied ?
    I have no idea what makes them stick. I have used them many years back and if I recall it is a goop that you mix and put on the back of the disk. Most likely some type of epoxy if I had to guess.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Butyl Caulk over the spike or nail.

Wire fashioned like an elongaged "U" threaded through the "button" ends wrapped around nail under the head of spike/nail, bend wire and button away from head of nail or spike. Drive nail, dab butyl caulk on house side of button, push button to head of nail along wire threads to and brick and hold, wire loop free to tie lightweight twine trellis through for training clematis and other light annual climbers and vines.

Old Butyl Caulk is tough to remove, it can take brick and mortar with it

Thanks for the replies Scott and H.G. ...I'm not much of a gardener so I've not been exposed to such things. I like the way these connectors are done though....appeals to my attention to detail.