Pete Bucey Guest

Default New to forum and HI

Hi Everyone,
    I've been a commercial carpenter for 15 years and decided to get into home inspections. I bought a home study course and feel confident about the info that was in it to take the NHIE. I'm interested in starting my own inspection business. Any advice from those who have started their own will be GREATLY appreciated! I live in Ohio and am looking for an association to join that might be of help to my business. ASHI and InterNachi are two that seem to market in the area. What are your opinions of these associations?
    Thanks for any opinions and / or help.

Pete

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: New to forum and HI

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bucey View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I've been a commercial carpenter for 15 years and decided to get into home inspections. I bought a home study course and feel confident about the info that was in it to take the NHIE. I'm interested in starting my own inspection business. Any advice from those who have started their own will be GREATLY appreciated! I live in Ohio and am looking for an association to join that might be of help to my business. ASHI and InterNachi are two that seem to market in the area. What are your opinions of these associations?
    Thanks for any opinions and / or help.

Pete
    The best advice can be found by doing a search on this topic, it is or has been covered for what seems like every week for the past 10 or so years. It is not rocket science by any means. It takes hard work, beating the bushes, and just getting your name and what you are doing out to the folks that will be buying homes. On the average it will take 3+ years to reach a point that you can move off of mustard sandwiches and into a little cheese and a slice of Bologna!

As far as ASHI and INACHI you just need to visit their chapter meetings and see what is a better match for you. ASHI tends to have the more experianced and successful folks simply due to their more stringent requirements for their certification level. You just need to visit them both and see who and what is the best match for you. It is all about relationships and making friends with other inspectors in your area, you will get more out of a good local group than you will by just joining their national association.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com