Default Particle Board Siding

I inspected a split level 1977 home today that had an assortment of siding materials in use. Under one window section there was about 6' of a particle board siding panel. Along the cut edge on the bottom there was excessive moisture and I plan on writing it up as such. I don't have much experience here so I wanted to know what others know about particle board siding and if there are any specific products that have been known to perform worse than others.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Particle Board Siding

Does not matter if it's:
    Masonite, Fiber board, particle board, chip board, composite, Abitico, hard board or what ever, it's all Crap board.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: Particle Board Siding

Such siding is high maintenance. Once water gets into it the board begins to swell and there's not much you can do with it when that happens. Contractors/builders who put that stuff on are not doing anyone any favors - except the guys who come back in to rip it out out when it decays. I looked at a 9 yr old 4,000 SF house yesterday trimmed out in the stuff - most of it was turning to mush.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL