Thread: Intoduction

Marc Albanese Guest

Default Intoduction

Hello Inspectors!

My name is Marc and I am the Chief Inspector of Plumbing for the City of Ithaca, NY.
    I have read several trade forums over the years and decided to join this forum to receive and share feedback in our business. Would like to hear from other seasoned pros on a long list of plumbing items...so once I figure out how to manuver around the site I'll jump right in.

As far as who I am...I have been in the plumbing trade for most of my life. I was in the field, the business, and have been on "the other side of the counter" (inspector) for a number of years. I hope to learn many new things, confirm some old and share my views from from the inspectors chair...

I think I'll read some threads...

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Introduction

OK Marc. How do we feel about this plumber's strapping used for a clamp?

The house and dishwasher are 5 years old.
    (ABS glue is yellow in Canada).

Yes, Dan, there is a good high loop, a hole drilled in the cabinet wall just below the countertop.

John, What question am I about to answer?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Kogel; 04-27-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: messin with Dan and John
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: Intoduction

Is there a drain line loop? can't tell from the picture.

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

Marc Albanese Guest

Default Dishwaher connector of the future?

John,
    Gosh! The use of perf strap is inspirational...a real handyman! However, I don't think it passes inspection. One would be hard-pressed to find pipe strap listed under any code section on joint/fitting connectors. Also, KS base cabinets can be a corrosive environment...use stainless.

As a side-comment. If this picture falls into the hands of the Chinese we may be seeing
    perforated pipe strap connectors coming to a supply house near you.

Default Re: Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    ...Yes, Dan, there is a good high loop....
    My sense of time is now discombobulated.

John, What question am I about to ask?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: Dishwaher connector of the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Albanese View Post
    John,
    Gosh! The use of perf strap is inspirational...a real handyman! However, I don't think it passes inspection. One would be hard-pressed to find pipe strap listed under any code section on joint/fitting connectors. Also, KS base cabinets can be a corrosive environment...use stainless.

As a side-comment. If this picture falls into the hands of the Chinese we may be seeing
    perforated pipe strap connectors coming to a supply house near you.
    Thanks, Marc. My client and his realtor scoffed at the thought of replacing it. The tune may change one day if the hose pops off.

The Chinese can produce a geared clamp that looks as good as anything made in the US, and it will be cheaper than a stove bolt and a chunk of strapping.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca