Thread: Heber, UT

Wayne Edwards Guest

Default Heber, UT

My name is Wayne Edwards. I have recently finished an online Home Inspectors course. I was recommended this forum for some practical help. Is there some videos or extra training on here that may help me? I hope to frequent this forum if it helps me to move forward in this field. Hello to all.....

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Heber, UT

Nope, no videos or training. Only inspectors posting pics of the wierd things they found that day asking for help in identifing and writing the defect.

That being said, if you read every reply to every post, you will quickly find out how much you did not know you did not know. Those that answer tend to be the intermediate to advanced technically compentent. The answers tend to be code based (IRC & NEC) but also debate the intent of the code vs. the letter of the law.

As you will find out, code is only a basis but you will have to strike your own balance between building knowledge and code for homes built before the current code was adopted.

I recommend you read every post, every reply. Really. Read everything. Especially the things you already know. You will find out how much you really know.

Welcome aboard and start asking questions right away. Also go by the business start up section and read those first.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Well said Bruce. I also recommend the Cost of Business exercise that Brian (the moderator of this forum) offers. It is priceless!

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

mathew stouffer Guest

Wayne,
    If you read visit this site everyday and read the posts, you will learn more in month then you would learn in a year in any class.

If you have not joined already, consider joining InterNachi. There is a wealth of educational training courses you will find on their website including video training all free to the members. The courses are online but I find it beneficial to printout the course literature and then read it say at the beach where I can take my time to absorb it rather than sitting in front of a computer. I then retain each course in a binder for future reference. AHIT provided good initial training but InterNachi takes you to the next level.

Bob makes a good point. Join a local chapter of a good home inspection organization such as the National Association of Home Inspectors (NAHI). The local chapter guys will provide a wealth of information and support for a new person, as well as a place to vent when needed! If there doesn't happen to be a chapter near you, you could always start one up! Or, take advantage of the national organizations wealth of information in the members library, as well as other assistance.

Last edited by Bob Knauff; 05-01-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook