Kevin Blehl Guest

Default Just starting out, any suggestions?

I just finished a course in home inspection at the local college. I have experience in new home construction, framing to HOW repairs, and had a renovation/improvement/repair business for a while.

Obviously, I don't have a whole lot of funds to start with. Any suggestions on how to get business coming in quickly? I would appreciate any help given.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Just starting out, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Blehl View Post
    I just finished a course in home inspection at the local college. I have experience in new home construction, framing to HOW repairs, and had a renovation/improvement/repair business for a while.

Obviously, I don't have a whole lot of funds to start with. Any suggestions on how to get business coming in quickly? I would appreciate any help given.
    Hi Kevin,
    I suggest you find a licensed inspector in your area & ask if you can follow him around for a while. In AZ we are required to have 30 parallel inspections with an experienced qualified inspector before we can be given our state license number, along with passing numerous tests. I have been in construction for over 30 years, custom home builder for the past 15 & thought this would be a piece of cake & the parallels were a waste of time (and money). Boy did I get a rude awakening! There is nothing like getting experience in the inspections themselves before your rear is on the line!
    Thats my 2 cents.

Yeah, get a real job. Unless you want to be poor for at least a 2-3 years with no insurance and no job security. Home inspecors get fired every day. Get a job with benefits and a future.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

I'm asked pretty regularly what it takes to get started as a home inspector. My first response is simple: A wife with a job.

JLMathis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post
    I'm asked pretty regularly what it takes to get started as a home inspector. My first response is simple: A wife with a job.

JLMathis
    Can I have an Amen and a Hallelujah!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I'll second that Amen. However, when I started, I had a REAL job w/ benefits, etc and did HI's part time until it was time to cut the string.

Kevin, A lot of really great suggestions here. My 2 cents would be to get a website up and running first and foremost. The majority of your referrals will come via an internet search...everyone is online these days. Business Cards with your contact information is a must. Make regular visits to your local realtors, drop off some cards, leave a card on the doors of any vacant homes that have a For Sale sign in the yard. Many banks have an area that you can leave business cards, get to know your mortgage bankers, just drop in and introduce yourself. An AD in the yellow pages is old school, but you may get a little bit of foot traffic from this. Search the web and join every listing service that is available that will allow you to post your email address and/or website. The more exposure you get, the higher you will climb in search engines like Google and Bing. There are a lot of free services out there that will allow you to do that. Last of all..be a man of integrity and don't sell out to the almighty dollar. Build a reputation of fair and unbiased inspections and your clients will soon generate your leads. Realtors are a resource but they are not going to build your business like a good reputation will. Good Luck!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Tom Camp Guest

Kevin, The first couple of years for me was really tough. I had 28 years of building commercial projects and ten years of building homes prior to that, although all that experience is helpful and in my mind almost crucial, inspecting homes is a whole different ball game. Good luck.

martyall Guest

Hi. It is hard to start a business without any funds. I think you should start with a lower business and expands it later.