Default No Idea what this is

Does anybody have any idea what this is? I came across it during an inspection on a 2006 tract home. I wiggled it around & tried to turn it (both very gently). I thought it may be a water anti-hammer but it seems too small, the ones I have seen are 8-10" long & 1" diameter.

Thanks!
    Greg

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: No Idea what this is

Due to the path of the safe pan's drain, my first and strongest suspected is that this painted bent copper tube has been further bent after abondonment, and at one time was used as a discharge path for a TPRV, subject to damage, although perhaps it served as the drainage for an indirect waste receptor for the TPRV discharge. Perhaps knowing the path for the safe pan drainage (plastic waste plumbing pictured) might clear up.

It may at one time been a return line for recirculating potable hot water to the storage type water heater, some times a motor/pump is installed and the recirculating line returns to the water heater at the drainage port (removing first the drain cock which is pictured).

If there is a furnace or air handling system nearby it may have been a supply line used for humidification device for same, etc., but again, appears to be a plumbing "dead end" and as such should be remediated, as same contain stagnated water which is not acceptable in a potable system. I (reaching here) suppose there might also be a chance there is or was a form of hydronic heat and previously perhaps a dual water heater designed to support both potable plumbing and a closed hydronic system, this may have been a "supply end" destined for hydronic heat; "dead ends" are additionally not acceptable - performance, engineering, etc. in a closed system for different reasons.

It appears that the water heater has been replaced (not surprising for the age/vintage and water quality (minerals, salts, etc.) concerns in your region. It further appears to be what we call a "dead end" and if such the system should be or should have been remediated as it would be a health hazard regarding the potable water system. It appears the plate was previously installed to the wall - the opening around the line should be remediated, if this platform/wall is a separation wall it should also be stopped and blocked appropriately.

If it were a simple copper chamber for arresting shock, it would be upright, and be just before (tee-d) a valve for an outlet, point of use, which does not appear here, nor would be suggested by the limited view in your photo. Painted as it appears to be, it is difficult to be certain, but I doubt there is any reason to suggest that this "end" and its location suggest anything to do with a shock chamber, hammer arrester, etc.

I have assumed this is painted copper tube, potable supply qualified plumbing materials, and assumed the platform nook supporting water heater is photographed from a garage or other passageway from an area outside of the thermal envelope of the living space (note elevation, wall above apparent slab, and "curb step up" to threshold of protected entry door at the right).

It should be investigated and identified, if properly abandonded (emptied on both ends closed it should still be remediated regarding draft, stop, bug/rodent/moisture intrusion into the platform/wall cavity and avoid an entry path.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-07-2011 at 08:28 AM.

This looks like a Pex Stub Out to me. PEX Stub Out: Research Calibex - Seller Reviews, Ratings

Thanks guys.
    I'm gonna go with the PEX stub-out.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hammond View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I'm gonna go with the PEX stub-out.
    LOL which, if it were, would be a plumbing "dead end" and a health hazard and defect of the plumbing system and require remediation.

But of course you knew that already, right?

Pex stubs with maliable copper, I don't think that flies do you?

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    LOL which, if it were, would be a plumbing "dead end" and a health hazard and defect of the plumbing system and require remediation.

But of course you knew that already, right?

Pex stubs with maliable copper, I don't think that flies do you?
    I agree.
    Thanks!

Now we know the "what."
    What is the purpose of that fitting?

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

I still say that is what is looks like, not that it is being used for that purpose.

Ted Menelly Guest

PEX stub out. Yep, could be based on the almost exact match. With no other explanation ....... why not.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

James Duffin Guest

My guess is that at one time it stuck out and was a hose connection but the folks got tired of hitting their shin on it and took it loose.

Bill Brooks Guest

These stubs were used for rough in for waterlines for sinks and toilets so you had copper sticking out the wall and you would fastent the plate to the stud for support and the pex would run inside the wall. That way you could pressure test your water system for leaks before drywall and your pipe was protected from debris entering the pipe when the drywall and mud. Once you were ready for finish plumbing you just cut the end off soldier your valve on and your have nice solid conection. No idea why someone would put one under the water heater unless they just wanted to cap off the line which is a bad move causing stale water to sit.