Joe Razzo Guest

Default Pipe sticking out from the ground

Hey guys

During my inspection of the exterior of a 2-storey, 40-50 year old house, i came across
    a pipe that seemed to have no purpose at all.

The pipe may have been abandoned, and it did not look like it was in use.

Any ideas?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Pipe sticking out from the ground

Since the fence sections suggest a downward slope, I'd guess its been placed for diverting drainage such as foundation water (perhaps sump), or more likely surface water or eavestroughs/downs, from the uphill side. Collar on the ABS suggests there may have been an extending section at one time. Area appears erroded.If the fence is a dividing line between properties, perhaps is to avoid drainage encroaching on neighboring property, at least to avoid washing out the fence posts' footing in concrete, etc.Perhaps there is a gutter trough drain in the garage apron at the overhead door threshold, a downs burried on the uphill side or around the corner, etc.?

Sometimes you see a pipe run like this for use as a future conduit. Where is it leading to, is main service panel near this?

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Bill Brooks Guest

Not sure if this home had a swimming pool or not sometimes people will do this for back washing there pools. But I would tend to agree its used for a back up sump pump of some sort.

Joe Razzo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Sometimes you see a pipe run like this for use as a future conduit. Where is it leading to, is main service panel near this?
    It's actually leading the front of the home, and towards the vicinity of the service panel, correct!

The drainage and overall grading of the home is pretty bad, but there was no sump pump, even though there should have been one, since there was water on the floor in the basement.

But isn't this pipe too large to be used as an electrical conduit?

Are you sure it wasn't just a left over length of pipe that a previous HO just threw on the side of the house for storage, then the grass, etc. grew over it? I have a couple of those on the side of the shed. Maybe it isn't for anything. ???