Default Clay tile to city sewer

Sorry guys I can't get my photos to adjust down to the size they need to be for this site. Anyhow, I was in this crawlspace this week and for the main waste line going to the city sewer they have a 3" PVC pipe going into a clay tile terminating into the ground. No seal of any kind it is just elbowed into this 8" tile. I thought for sure they had another soil pipe going to city sewer line but could not find anything else. For me this is not normal but wanted to ask some guys with experience. Thanks..

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Clay tile to city sewer

What is the age of the house?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

You can easily take a screen shot and copy it into a new file that you set the "orientation" and "size" for said "new" file you open in whatever program came preloaded with your computer, such as "paint" if a PC, etc. which you can then save in a jpeg, bit-map, etc. format, then upload said new file here.

You can also create a photo album with public permissions on any of the multitude of free photo hosting sites and post a link. You could also format and save as a pdf file and attach/upload it. There are also a multitude of free programs for photo re-sizing and re-formating, and a multitude of posts here addressing same.Really not being able to resize a photo to be able to post it here, or a link to same, when you've been saying the same since at least March, isn't flying. Illinois has its own plumbing code, it is available for viewing for free on illinois state servers.

Central Illinois is not exempt. Public Heath is not a grandfathered issue when modifications, repairs, changes in materials, and transitions of same take place - code existed in a form prior to the now prevelent use of PVC as DWV. I suggest you read and become familiar with it in its entirety, and the approved materials. It is administered by IDPH. "home rule" modifications and other code adoptions may not be more permissive or allow what is prohibited by the state code - such modifications may only act to be further restrictive.

Ambiguous and improper use of "termination" in more than this post - misleading.When you've posted pictures will address at that time. Won't guess as to the actual meaning of your limited descriptions, as there are so many possibilities. Subsoil drainage foundation drainage systems should not be confused with sanitary systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    Sorry guys I can't get my photos to adjust down to the size they need to be for this site. Anyhow, I was in this crawlspace this week and for the main waste line going to the city sewer they have a 3" PVC pipe going into a clay tile terminating into the ground. No seal of any kind it is just elbowed into this 8" tile. I thought for sure they had another soil pipe going to city sewer line but could not find anything else. For me this is not normal but wanted to ask some guys with experience. Thanks..
    Download "FastStone" photo resizer. It is free and it works very well. You might also want to set your camera on the lowest mega pixel setting it has. If it has an "email" or "PC" setting put it on that. We really do not need portrait quality photos for what we are doing.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Eric,

I would write up that the sewer line from the structure (the PVC you found in the crawl space) to the street appears to be clay tile, and while this was common practice many decades ago, it does allow roots and other matter to block the sewer line and cause backup into the house and/or crawl space, and that you recommend the sewer line to the street sewer connection be replaced after a plumbing contractor verifies that the sewer line is clay tile.

That advises your client as to what you found, educates them as to what to expect (blocked sewer line and backups), what should be done to confirm what you think you found, and what needs to be done to correct the problem (and effectively says 'don't call me when your sewer backs up, call a plumber like I told you to in the report ).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I do not believe you would find tile permitted for sanitary within the structural footprint or passing through or under foundation in IL decades ago or even a century ago. IL has had regulations regarding sanitary, plumbing, public health, in some form, reaching back to the 19th century.

Hubbed CI for example, within and through or under foundation, transition to clay beyond the footprint, not "clay" tile through or under for sanitary. Clay tile however for foundation drainage. This assumes we've devined correctly and that the OP has as well. I am not convinced the vague description and the OP's posting history, use of terms, descriptions, etc. that it can be assumed the topic is truly sanitary drainage in the first place or that what is being referred to as clay tile is actually same, let alone that all "pvc" is equal, or that PVC has been correctly identified.

Loose use of non-term "sewer line". Suggest OP familiarize self with distinctions with differences beginning with review of Illinois Plumbing Code, starting with introduction and definitions and materials. Properly identifying using correct words, use your post-education service support from your bell. group ed. if necessary for aid in your identification of systems you're attempting to identify (how can you inspect or evaluate what you cannot identify?) reporting, if non-existant then pay if necessary to bring in qualified pro and learn from same - refer to correct resource entity and/or licensed profession for further inspection and evaluation.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-08-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Without pics Eric, it sounds like what you saw could be an old terra cotta sanitary drain line. Our house is 110+ years old and we had the misfortune of inheriting one of these drain lines when we bought the house. Our problem started with monthly backups and me having to snake it once a month for over a year. When the hand snake didn't get it done, I had to rent an electric auger type snake. Then we had a couple sections replaced where it was leaking underground and then bubbling up into the yard. The backhoe operator scraped the ground open in those spots and the line was no more than 6" beneath the grade level. We finally got tired of battling it and replaced it the entire thing. Part of the problem was the run had an underground trap, part was it's close proximity to the grade surface, and part was the tree roots that had grown through the loosely pieced sections.

I would follow Jerry's advice. From my experience, if you find one of these lines, they are old and prone to failure. Make sure your client is aware of their pitfalls.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 05-08-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Tom Thompson Guest

In California drain piping with in the structure is referred to as "the building drain" two feet and beyond the foundation is referred to as "the building sewer", clay is not approved for the building drain, the proper connectors are also required.

M. Slusar Guest

I have found the best free program for image manipulation and sizing is IRFANVIEW .
    Free, small, fast, easy to use.
    YMMV
    IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

As a plumber and sewer and drain cleaner in Chicago area, I have seen clay sewer tile hundreds of homes. I doubt it is 8" clay tile, it is most common to see 6" clay tile in the area.