Default keyed sash locks

I seen somethin' I never seen.

Dbl hung sash with keyed locks on the sash!

Also, contract specified that window hardware did not transfer with sale!

Forget the midnite pajama escape route. There were also storms in place!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: keyed sash locks

I hate inspecting a house that has those. Even worse are the windows where somebody has drilled a hole in the sashes and installed removable screws. Either way, I call them out as safety hazards and recommend removal.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Any lock or screw that requires a tool of some kind to open a window in a bedroom would be a code violation and a safety issue.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Schrenker View Post
    Any lock or screw that requires a tool of some kind to open a window in a bedroom would be a code violation and a safety issue.
    Some bedrooms have more than one operable window, Jerome Schrenker.

Only an EERO so encumbered would be of issue. Not every window in a bedroom is necessarily operable, let alone is an EERO. In fact, if a bedroom has an exterior door - and other approved ventillation - it is quite possible that none of the windows may be required to be operable/openable with or without special tools, special knowledge, or special force.

You are correct sir. I was assuming it was the only window. If there is one thing I should learn posting on this site is that you need to have all of your facts straight.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Some bedrooms have more than one operable window,

Only an EERO so encumbered would be of issue. Not every window in a bedroom is necessarily operable, let alone is an EERO.

If a bedroom has more than one operable window, it is quite likely that they all meet EERO size and therefore any given one of the windows 'could be' "the" EERO.

*I* would not want to be the one to select which ones of those multiple EERO windows would be allowed to be locked and which one would not be allowed to be locked, least I select the wrong window in time of emergency.

Yes, *only one* window is required to be EERO, but the more EERO there are, the better chances for escape or rescue there.

Just carrying the thought through so one does not try to decide which window(s) would be allowed to have a lock on it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com