mathew stouffer Guest

Default Stone along chimneys contacting roof

This is a single family home built in 95, 10,000 feet with 7 chimneys. Each one has the stone directly onto the roof. Other then preventing verification of the step flashing, and head flashing, do you call this out. Oh and check out the size of this timber.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Stone along chimneys contacting roof

Those chimneys are hideous. The stone in contact with the roof looks like a good way to capture and hold snow, water, and wet debris against the roof. I'd do what you mentioned Matt and state presence of flashing could not be confirmed due to method of construction......and also the other stuff I mentioned above.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I think you answered your own question with your noted concerns.

Also when it comes to reshingling the (artificial) stone veneer will have to be removed in order to properly apply shingles. I don't think the stone should be touching the shingles and the flashing should have been left exposed.

I know we have screwed up construction around here but Matt you sure come up with some weird ones.
    Obviously you have to call out the non-verification of flashing. Even though that is some sort of veneer job, The stones look awful big. I'm also wondering about any potential weight or structure issues at the interior. Were you able to get in the attic and view the interior structure. Stone, block, B-vent up to the plywood?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

mathew stouffer Guest

Vaulted ceilings. The stones were big, didnt see any deflection. Place was built in 95 so would have been able to see something. Yeah there is some real interesting issues around here.

I agree with everything that has been said... especially the hideous part. I think it's a Chinese technique, developed by Ug Lee.

Anyway, I would also be concerned about the substrate that the stone is attached to. They look like prime candidates for wood rot. Same issues as EIFS.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Cool Re: Stone along chimneys contacting roof

Look like granola bars topped off with illegal shrouds

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Don't see a ledger. no signs of even 1/2 let alone 2/3rds support over roof deck.

Trying to get a handle on the scale of things - is that an auxiliary plumbing vent between the two pictured? Looks rather short and puny diameter for your region - maybe those dimmensions would help to absorb the scale of these ... (words excape me).

Single mfg. instructions & warranty. Compression, deck - roof system componants.

Framing for roof openings/penetrations.

Proximity to valley.

Those crickets... This crud is flared out and upon them. Note narrowness.

Is the material manufactured (what is it!?), collected, or quarried? It
    appears to be unwashed, unquarried, ungraded, field rubble collected
    with splitting and lichen colonized slapped on DIY. If its some sort of faux stone lightweight mfg material its been colonized and supporting lichen.
    Is that a sheet of lead or plastic sticking out in one photo?

What is holding it up?

Hideous marshmellow rice krispy squares with chunks of candy bars thrown in, stuck-on. Strongly suspect not orignial use, componants, size/footprint nor finish esp. narrow "crickets". Some areas look as though the roof openings might first have been locations of windows, skylights, or eyebrow dormers.

Can't imagine an insurer going along even if your local authority did/does.

WOW that's some wood (heh heh). Shame they've done the same to it - encirciling the base, retaining moisture - doomed to rot.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-10-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Around here, we don't call that a timber. It's just a chunk of driftwood.
    Nice portrait. Is that your good side?

It looks like real stone and it's a real shame, because it all has to come down, so it was a real waste of the previous owner's cash.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca