Thread: Oh Boy

Default Oh Boy

My Monday and from the looks of it Tuesday Inspection is going to be a challenge. Weaver Street Realty - Pickards Mountain#

OREP Insurance
    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Default Re: Oh Boy

Mike, give me a shout if you need someone to tote your tools for the day.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

And try to maintain that tradition of love and community while you're there, eh?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The mortgage is only 13,500.00 a month.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    My Monday and from the looks of it Tuesday Inspection is going to be a challenge. Weaver Street Realty - Pickards Mountain#
    That is a fine looking home... I love the true "man" cave under the house! Should be fun and an experience. I'm betting that you will find little wrong with it. My experience with homes of that caliber is that the owners tend to maintian them and they are in better than average condition.

I would be looking for water problems. With all of those angles and slopes o the roof a red flag is starting to flutter.

Their Realtor sounds like a work of art or he is having a cosmic flashback to his days of running a Head shop.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    That is a fine looking home... I love the true "man" cave under the house! Should be fun and an experience. I'm betting that you will find little wrong with it. My experience with homes of that caliber is that the owners tend to maintian them and they are in better than average condition.

I would be looking for water problems. With all of those angles and slopes o the roof a red flag is starting to flutter.

Their Realtor sounds like a work of art or he is having a cosmic flashback to his days of running a Head shop.
    Ditto what Scott said...!

Copper roof at that, It also looks like it has a turret observation deck on the roof. All I want is the walnut dining room table for my troubles.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I'm betting that you will find little wrong with it. My experience with homes of that caliber is that the owners tend to maintian them and they are in better than average condition.
    I agree with Scott on the "owners tend to maintian them and they are in better than average condition" part, however, I disagree with Scott on the "I'm betting that you will find little wrong with it" as that used to be my market (size and price of homes) and I would find all kinds of things wrong with them - which is why several of the builders began hiring me to do quality control inspections as phase inspections during construction - so the builder could get his subs to correct everything which I pointed out ... I provided code sections and quotes for every item, the subs were allowed to try to convince the builder I was wrong, and if they could not, they had to correct everything I wrote up.

There are just so many things which go into construction which are simply not done correctly, and so many more of those things in a larger house, that I could spend 2-3-4-5 days or more there and just keep finding more and more things.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry I lean to agree with you but I hope it is what Scott Say's. Being this home has exterior features as well as unconventional framing I'm afraid there may be issues with installation. It's hard enough to get trades to install exterior finishes that they do every day as required, let alone something out of the ordinary.
    From the pictures the observation deck and stone will need scrutinized.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Jerry I lean to agree with you but I hope it is what Scott Say's. Being this home has exterior features as well as unconventional framing I'm afraid there may be issues with installation. It's hard enough to get trades to install exterior finishes that they do every day as required, let alone something out of the ordinary.
    From the pictures the observation deck and stone will need scrutinized.
    This is going to be a piece of cake Mike. You will spend so much time just absorbing the home it will be fun getting paid to do so. All that open timber framing ... you would have to be an engineer to truly take that all is as to whether it is correct or not.

As far as the home goes you will be going over your inspection noting a few technical code items that are in question but would change the looks here and there dramatically to even bother fixing them.

That home to me would be as through I was walking thru an antique furniture store with true fine pieces that you will admire. The craftsmanship that went into every piece knowing that they did not use a CNC Router to do the carving and true craftsman spent the countless hours creating such fine pieces. My biggest joy in this profession is when you can go into fine homes like that and truly marvel at the thought and design of the home and its structure.

The only problem I have is walking out the dreamer as in what I would have done or how I would do this or that ...... with all my money If I had some

Mike, I still have Tuesday open. Are you sure you don't need someone to tote your tool bag or run out to the truck to fetch that forgotten item?

Looks like fun. Looks like the perfect time to let me go on a ride along to find out how a professional home inspector does the job right. Give me a call. Seriously. Give me a call.

Bruce I will be there all day tomorrow starting at 9:30. Plan on staying until I feel comfortable to say I'm done. Hopefully Tuesday will just be for putting the report together. If you want to come out and get your feet wet It be good to see you. We can pick each others brains on issues.

As far as tools I know you and I spoke about it before. I carry screw driver/probe, circuit tester, flash light, tape measure, and laser thermometer.

All others stay in vehicle until I need them or better yet if I need them.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

I thought the inspection was Tuesday. I have an inspection at 9am in Knightdale, 1hr from your inspection tomorrow. I'll give you a call tomorrow afternoon to see how things are going.