Elliott Taylor Guest

Default Help out AC unit

hi all,

curious how this AC unit could be described based on these pictures. There is a severely damaged duct and the unit is taped. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Help out AC unit

Elliott,

It would help others help you if you would let everyone know of your location. Telling us "The Flats" doesn't tell us anything. Not me anyway.

If you were to say you inspect in Texas, I'd tell you that the copper line to your WH and Furnace pictures would not be allowed for gas supply lines. But, maybe in your area it is approved for use.

Electrical tape is not for ducts and the last picture the duct is damaged of course and needs replacement as an observation.

Richard Stanley Guest

I would report this. "There is a severely damaged duct and the unit is taped." along with whatever else I found. Have the unit/system serviced/repaired by an HVAC tech.

Yep your location might help some.

But regardless, that unit has a standing pilot light so that would put it's age around 15 or so years. It is most likely toast anyway. 99% chance the heat exchanger has a large enough hole in it for a cat to squeeze through.

Any horizontal attic HVAC system of that age just needs to be replaced.

The duct work would be the least of my concerns. I would simply tell them to replace the duct work when the system is replaced.

It also looks like it is hardwired and that it does not have a gas cutoff at the unit.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com