Default Filter on HVAC System

I have forgotten what you call these filters on the HVAC system. How often do they need cleaning and how.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Guy W Opie Guest

Default Re: Filter on HVAC System

For maximum efficiency, the electronic air cleaner cells and the pre-filter
    should be inspected and cleaned on a regular basis.
    The Maintenance Schedule is dependent on the amount of air
    passing through the filter as well as the amount of dust (pollen,
    smoke, etc.) in the air.
    Normal about 90 days, dusty or pollen 45 days

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    I have forgotten what you call these filters on the HVAC system. How often do they need cleaning and how.
    I call those in-line filters a ripoff! The filter cost around $100 and usually you have to have buy them from the HVAC contractor who will also charge a service call to install the new filter. they say that they last a year....

I am not a fan of them and I tell my clients to remove the filter and install a pleated filter at the return grate.

It has been my personal experience that that an in-line filter will tend to restrict the airflow as well as holding odors. Then we have folks who also install a pre-filter at the return grate to lengthen the life of the in-line filter. Talk about restricting airflow!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I call those in-line filters a ripoff! The filter cost around $100 and usually you have to have buy them from the HVAC contractor who will also charge a service call to install the new filter. they say that they last a year....

I am not a fan of them and I tell my clients to remove the filter and install a pleated filter at the return grate.

It has been my personal experience that that an in-line filter will tend to restrict the airflow as well as holding odors. Then we have folks who also install a pre-filter at the return grate to lengthen the life of the in-line filter. Talk about restricting airflow!
    In another thread where I talk about a gas furnace overheating and shutting down they have just what you said installed....a in-line electronic air filter and filters at the return grills. The HVAC contractor said that was OK too.