Mark Normand Guest

Default South Carolina Max Stair Rise

I'm building a deck that has to be attached the Cinder block, the highest I can go with the deck is 16" below the door opening. So what is the max rise for a step in south carolina?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: South Carolina Max Stair Rise

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Normand View Post
    I'm building a deck that has to be attached the Cinder block, the highest I can go with the deck is 16" below the door opening. So what is the max rise for a step in south carolina?
    Your Location may vary from link Monroe, North Carolina Deck Building Codes | eHow.com

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Normand View Post
    So what is the max rise for a step in south carolina?
    Don't worry about the maximum rise allowed, that is simply the minimum code's minimum safety level, it has nothing to do with comfort or greater safety.

The typical 7" maximum rise used outside the residential code would require 3 risers (because 2 risers is only 14"), so divide your 16" by 3 and make each riser that height (and keep the variation between riser heights down to 3/8" between the highest and lowest of the 3 risers).

16 / 3 = 5-1/3 inches for each riser

The minimum riser height is 4", so you are still well above that (you would not want to go for the minimum riser height any more than you would for the maximum riser height).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mark Normand Guest

Thanks for all of the great reply