steve mcgown Guest

Default gas shut-off valve for stove

i was unable to locate required shut-off valve near appliance or within 6 feet. however what i did observe was a shut-off valve at the exterior that feeds stove/cooktop. is this an improper location? also not sure about pipe material coming out of ground! please see photo!

thanks in advance,
    steve

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: gas shut-off valve for stove

I believe CSST is ok for exterior use, but it must be protected in conduit. I don't know what that "cement" like material is, but the CSST is still exposed above it. I also don't think the galvanized elbow is kosher either. Gas can cause the zinc to flake off, which is why black pipe is usually used. Check your local code. Some states ban the use of galvanized pipe with gas.

How are the weep holes in the brick veneer? There seems to be seepage at some of the morter joints.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 05-09-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: splelling
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Guy W Opie Guest

Csst can be used outside, but needs to installed according to mfg installation manual. Most require it to be procted under ground and no bare metall of the csst.
    Stove/range shutoff needs to be in same area as the appliance, not outside.

Luigi NI Guest

Zinc cannot be used in my area .to run gas.
    that line would not pass as it is not protected against a hit by moving objects

I can just imagine the yard crew coming through with there lawn mower and whacking that right off. Kaboom!!!

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

The other end of that sleeve should be located. If the other end of the sleeve is inside the building you have issues.

First, gas piping cannot penetrate the foundation below grade. [G2415.4]

Second, the outdoor end of the conduit is not supposed to be sealed gas tight. [G2415.12.1]

If the other end of the sleeve is outside, no worries other than the exposed CSST is supposed to be wrapped and protected from the elements. EDIT: and, as pointed out, the shutoff must be inside.