imported_John Smith Guest

Default Texas Inspectors - TREC Issues

Trying to renew my license last month turned into a nightmare. Starting with the lame "My License Online Service". Never could get it to work right, everytime I call TREC I got we are currently not accepting calls, blah blah blah. Sent an email as directed - got a response back over a week later. All said, I was without a license for over 3 weeks, and wasn't able to perform any inspections.

Always slow before, but this time, it was really bad. Has the DMV taken over TREC? Maybe preparing us for the future of healthcare?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Texas Inspectors - TREC Issues

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Trying to renew my license last month turned into a nightmare. Starting with the lame "My License Online Service". Never could get it to work right, everytime I call TREC I got we are currently not accepting calls, blah blah blah. Sent an email as directed - got a response back over a week later. All said, I was without a license for over 3 weeks, and wasn't able to perform any inspections.

Always slow before, but this time, it was really bad. Has the DMV taken over TREC? Maybe preparing us for the future of healthcare?
    As long as you are in process they cannot fine you for doing inspections. Something similar happened at the end of last year and they never actually put it up that I renewed on time until after the first of the year.

A little edit here. I did not know that they screwed up until some kindly inspectors brought it to my attention after the first of the year. It said my license was still active but the expiration date was at the end of last October. So, expired but active. Cool to have both designations.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 05-24-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post

Same thing happened to me regarding my LLC license; however, I stayed on it and got it renewed prior to it expiring. I had to mail in the form and I must say, they got back to me electronically very quickly.

Must be living right!!!

Though.....the lack of an LLC license wouldn't have prevented me from inspecting.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

I guess its just not a good time to have to renew this year. When I was last at TREC back in January I heard they were bracing for another round of mandatory budget cuts. They had reduced staff that normally handles phone calls and were initiating other ways to save money (like doing away with their 1-800 phone lines). I also heard that TREC was having issues with their web site in regard to online renewals.

On top of all that TREC will be moving out of the building they have been in for many years and into a state owned building closer to the Capital later this month (Another cost saving move for them). I believe there was even a "heads up" about all of this in the TREC Advisor newsletter encouraging everyone to get their renewals started as early as possible due to expected processing delays.

Ted is right though about your ability to continue working even if your renewal has not been processed by TREC and you don't have your new license in hand as long as your renewal filing is complete and timely.

From the TREC Rules ยงยง535.216(b)-.218(i)

(e) An inspector licensed on active status
    who timely files a renewal application together
    with the applicable fee, evidence of completion of
    any required continuing education courses, and
    proof of professional liability insurance, or any
    other insurance that provides coverage for
    violations of Subchapter G of Chapter 1102, may
    continue to practice prior to receiving a new
    license certificate from the commission.

My advice even for the next several months would be to continue to expect delays at TREC and to begin your renewal as early as possible. And definitely make sure the above will apply to you so you don't miss out on any work or otherwise risk getting yourself into trouble.