Default Government of Alberta adopts licensing and grandfathers Certified Master Inspectors.

OREP Insurance
    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Default Re: Government of Alberta adopts licensing and grandfathers Certified Master Inspecto

To be a Certified Master Inspector (CMI) you have to provide documentation that proves you've been in the inspection business three years, not "a couple." You also have to have 1,000 continuing education hours or 1,000 inspections (combined total) under your belt.

Certified Master Inspector (CMI) is the inspection industry's highest professional designation and it is a Federal Certification Mark.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Default Re: Government of Alberta adopts licensing and grandfathers Certified Master Inspecto

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    and it is a Federal Certification Mark.
    There's your typical NACHI marketing technique in action: A CFM is just like a trademark, you can register it, but it does not indicate Federal Certification of its relevance to measurement of professional competence.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

CMI's requirements which include having 1,000 inspections under your belt says it all. I can see why a Canadian provincial government wrote it into enacted law.

Do you qualify to be a Certified Master Inspector?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Ted Menelly Guest

CMI's requirements which include having 1,000 inspections under your belt says it all. I can see why a Canadian provincial government wrote it into enacted law.

How about 12 full time years and over three and a half decades of combined full and part time inspecting and thousands of inspections.

It would be pitifull to believe that the Albertta government actually got sold just on NACHIs requirements for the standards and no one else quailifies. I am guessing that that is just one of the requirements but there are others that will get grand fasthered min and not just NACHI CMIs. If you have proof that what you say is true I feel sorry for the folks in ALberta that there governement can be sold soley by one Inspection marketing group and not even a real Inspection association. As we all know that is all NACHI truely is. A marketing corporation. There are so many people out there that outway any CMI it is truly shocking if what you say is true.

I would be willing to say that you are telling just part of the tail.

CMIs at least have to have the inspections behind them. A thousand inspections puts most folks in line. As far as the testing, well, who knows, there may be something to it but I add one more time. I am possitive you are just telling the side of the whole tail that glorifies just NACHI and not other ways they can be grand fathered.

Lets not add the fact you are marketing outside of the boundaries of marketing on this board ..... by the way. Adds nothing to your credability.

mathew stouffer Guest

1000 inspections, master inspector?? At a 1000 inspections you are still wet behind the ears. Should be Cp (Certified padawon).

Teddy Menelly writes
    you are marketing outside of the boundaries of marketing on this board
    I'm not sure how to announce that the government of Alberta adopted licensing that grandfathers CMIs without you calling it "marketing." News about home inspector licensing is inspection news, isn't it?

If someone asks about a course on a particular subject and I tell him that InterNACHI not only has a free online course on that very topic, but that the course is approved in his state, you say I'm "marketing."

If someone asks about search engine optimization and I tell him that InterNACHI has a free search engine optimization tool that does it all for him, you say I'm "marketing."

If someone asks about online agreement systems, websites, or report upload services and I tell him that InterNACHI offers all of those for free, you say I'm "marketing."

If someone asks where he can list his home inspection company online and I tell him that InterNACHI will list him on 4,500 inspector search engines for free, you say I'm "marketing."

Perhaps I could reply to someone by saying "Well, there is this really huge inspection trade association that rhymes with splinter catchy and the price of the thing you seek rhymes with tree." Would that work for you?

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 05-24-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

The legislation in Alberta is just poor legislation, its not a matter of who or what association qualifies, it is a matter that other qualifying associations/bodies were left out.

These include ASHI, and National Certification and yes NACHI members.

Simply put the legislation and the facts which played into it were poorly researched considering the public was not even consulted and the BBB only rec'd 28 complaints last year in Alberta of which we have no details as to the details of the complaint. Similarly the number of recorded court cases do not suggest a large problem.

That's some piece of legislation, the government didn't do inspectors any favours! They took their rights away to enter into contract as a business person, heaped enormous risk onto their shoulders and to add insult to injuries they want a $10k security bond and mandatory E&O.

It will be interesting to see how the insurers will respond now that they too will bare the burden of high risks, and have had one of their exculpatory clauses removed, that being their demand that inspectors insert liability clauses.

I wonder if the minister responsible had her election campaign funded in part by the realestate associations?

Inspectors in Alberta would be well advised to put their rates up substantially in order to cover their increased risks.

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 05-25-2011 at 04:12 AM.

"Perhaps I could reply to someone by saying "Well, there is this really huge inspection trade association that rhymes with splinter catchy and the price of the thing you seek rhymes with tree." Would that work for you? "

I like it.
    Yeah, lets go with "splinter catchy"
    And instead of the title "Director of Communications",
    we'll call it " Personal Understanding Director", or "PUD".

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

- Home Inspection Business Regulations effective Sept 1, 2011

(2) A person who wishes to obtain a full home inspector licence must submit to the Director proof satisfactory to the Director that

—5—
    the applicant is employed or otherwise engaged by a licensed home inspection business, and
    (a) has
    (i) obtained a degree, diploma or certificate in home inspection from an approved educational institution, and
    (ii) satisfactorily completed a test inspection of a dwelling supervised by an approved educational institution or a licensed home inspector holding a Certified Master Inspector (CMI) designation or a Registered Home Inspector (RHI) designation,
    or
    (b) holds an approved home inspection designation or licence from an approved industry association or regulatory body.
    To me it looks as if they are grandfathering any inspector who is already certified by other associations or governing bodies.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 05-25-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    - Home Inspection Business Regulations effective Sept 1, 2011

To me it looks as if they are grandfathering any inspector who is already certified by other associations or governing bodies.
    Yes, any member of CAHPI Alberta, which is the Canadian affiliate of ASHI, will be eligible for a license, which is similar to the way licensing was brought in in BC in 2009.
    There are presently 79 CAHPI members on the Alberta website.
    There are presently 15 interNACHI CMI's in Alberta, but I'm sure a membership drive is underway.
    No mention of CANACHI. In BC, CANACHI members were deemed to have met the requirements for education, so they were given licenses, but interNachi members were not.
    Alaberta HI's have until 2013 to get their voices heard and possibly influence the rules before they become law.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Hi John

Unless I have heard wrong ASHI was not recognized in Alberta even though its an affiliate of CAHPI, its not recognized as a "Canadian Assoc". I don't know if ASHI could apply to be recognized? Can you add anything further or where that info comes from?

As to CanNachi its just my opinion, but the government of BC did not research its background. The directors of CanNachi serve as trainers for an home inspection school affiliated and owned by the former president of CanNachi.

http://www.inspect4u.ca/trainer.htm
    About CanNACHI

Its clear while government entities want inspectors to meet rigid standards, these so called associations don't appear to meet the same muster required of inspectors. And this is by no means the only example.

Whose protecting the inspectors?

Good info, Raymond.

I don't know if ASHI is involved in any way. Here's the link to the best info out there so far, from the horse's mouth.

Home inspection regulation protects Alberta homebuyers

www.allsafehome.ca

Teddy Menelly says
    Your company is and always has been nothing but a marketing corporation
    Really? Then what are the 700 government approvals and accreditations in the right column of this approving of? Marketing programs?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Teddy Menelly says Really? Then what are the 700 government approvals and accreditations in the right column of this approving of? Marketing programs?
    FYI, I was in a meeting this week and the State of TN will be limiting online CE to no more than 50% of the required amount and courses can not be repeated for 3 years. I think this starts in July. Seems like online education is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I think that IN should be accepted as online education.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    FYI, I was in a meeting this week and the State of TN will be limiting online CE to no more than 50% of the required amount and courses can not be repeated for 3 years. I think this starts in July. Seems like online education is not all that it is cracked up to be.
    North Carolina does not allow repeat within 3 years and accepts NO online training. Gotta sit in a classroom. Just raised annual CE from 12 to 16 hrs a year.

I agree that IN is some of the best CE.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Unless I have heard wrong ASHI was not recognized in Alberta
    Correct, ASHI is out. ASHI's requirements are too weak.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    1000 inspections, master inspector?? At a 1000 inspections you are still wet behind the ears. Should be Cp (Certified padawon).
    Roger that...

Just how many truly experienced home inspectors would love to have their first thousand inspection reports shredded?

This entire deal up in Canada does not pass the smell test and why are they hot to license an industry that has so few complaints? Licensing any trade provides no guarantee of quality, however the courts can and do, but at a glacial pace.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Just how many truly experienced home inspectors would love to have their first thousand inspection reports shredded?
    Only if the clients shred theirs first.

This entire deal up in Canada does not pass the smell test and why are they hot to license an industry that has so few complaints? Licensing any trade provides no guarantee of quality, however the courts can and do, but at a glacial pace.
    I don't know, politicians watching too much TV?

In BC, the Consumer Protection branch of the provincial government has been issuing HI licenses for 3 years now. The standards they have established now are in line with those of the two largest associations, CAHPI(BC) and BCIPI. Mandatory E+O and proctored exams for newbies. Test inspections with peer review. I know it has thinned the ranks a bit, which helps to raise the bar a little. They were open to consulting with the HI associations here, which is a good thing.
    Albertans are the Canadian Texans, so they will do it their way, no doubt.

www.allsafehome.ca

Only our CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTORS and CAHPI's RHIs were grandfathered in Alberta by legislation.

I know, it hurts.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

1,000 inspections says what? You think 1k inspections makes you a "master" at this trade?
    Whatever....

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    See, Matt knows what i'm talkin about...
    It takes 1,000 inspections just to find your groove.
    Your tools are still bright and shiny at 1,000 inspections.
    I can go on..

Your tools are still bright and shiny at 1,000 inspections.
    I can go on...
    I can go on too. Here's another. The government of Alberta grandfathers you if you are a CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR and you automatically get a license to use those bright, shiny tools.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

I can go on too. Here's another. The government of Alberta grandfathers you if you are a CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR and you automatically get a license to use those bright, shiny tools.
    Just means their standards are too low...

Really? Can you name any other government or inspection association on earth that requires more?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

All that means is that another fish took the bait.

And yet another snook gets snookered for NOT checking what titles actually mean what (or, more accurately, what they DO NOT mean).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    North Carolina does not allow repeat within 3 years and accepts NO online training. Gotta sit in a classroom. Just raised annual CE from 12 to 16 hrs a year.

I agree that IN is some of the best CE.
    NC allows on-line CE classes. I have done my this way the past three years. I got tired of going to classes and having to listen to one or two super inspectors take over the class bragging about how wonderful they are.

Really? Can you name any other government or inspection association on earth that requires more?
    What?? So you are saing the government has some sort of minimum standard that is worth a crap? Oh wait..they approved the NACHI curriculum. Well then.., I just proved my own point.