Default Packed holes in log cabin exterior

The home was 1920's with vertically constructed, 6-8" logs at the exterior. The holes were packed with a fine, light brown grit/sand-like material. No frass was observed around the holes.
    Most of the holes were between 1/8" and 1/4" and were filled tight to the edge.
    Mason bees seem to prefer/need a bit larger sized hole.
    Any ideas?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Packed holes in log cabin exterior

I haven't kept up with my WDO education since I retired from home inspections in 2006, so I'm not quite sure which, but I think it is: 1) Old House Borers; 2) Powder Post Beetles.

I think it is probably Old House Borers.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Carpenter Bees.
    Carpenter Bees — Entomology — Penn State University

Bees and other wood borers to my knowledge don't seal their holes. I am wondering if the holes were filled with wood filler by owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc V. L. View Post
    Most of the holes were between 1/8" and 1/4"
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Carpenter Bees.
    Raymond,

Read your link, you will find that carpenter bees make holes much larger than that, typically about 1/2" (although I've seen them larger, closer to 5/8" and 3/4" - and I've seen plenty of them, even have some in my house).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A carpenter bee begins her nest by drilling a nearly perfectly round entrance hole (about 1/2 inch diameter) into the wood. This hole is usually against the grain of the wood. When the tunnel is about 1 inch deep, the bee turns at right angles to the initial hole and tunnels with the grain of the wood. Bees prefer to attack wood that is greater than two inches thick.
    You have big bees down there.

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 06-01-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Luc

Sure looks like Mason Bees which I have never heard of.

But see the picture of the block of wood at this link.
    Mason bee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is not the work of Powder Post beetles, unless they are a new Paul Bunyan variety.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

SWAG,

Site of prior surface installation.

Note first picture only, and second picture left center.

What you describe gritty substance would easily describe water-cleanup "plastic wood" wood fill/wood putty, exposed. Note "cross hatch" pattern of face of "phillips head" wood or deck screws, instead of more popular in your region, "robertson" screw heads.

Remove screws, excavate holes, impregnate with injections of binder and fill with 2-part epoxy mixed with wood filler "flour" mixed with epoxy, injection method, not "wood putty"/wood dough.Shelf brackets, hand rails, address numbers, seasonal decorations: a multitude of possiblities as to what may have been installed there previously.

First pic looks more like T-11 or similar sheathing - wood "screw" may be holding up. Fasteners serving a purpose - countersink and plug with wood plugs.

See no evidence of WDI, but Human type WDOs

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-02-2011 at 07:03 AM.

John

Powder Post Beetles typically are 1/8" holes fwiw.

MARVIN TOWNSEN Guest

Did you notice any neon green wings around the area, especially in any spider webs??

Carpenter bees do not fill their holes back in. The excavate, lay their eggs and move on.

I have seen homeowners fill bee holes back in with sawdust mixed with glue or whatever. What about old Carpenter bee holes that have been used by Mason bees? If I recall Mason bees will use just about any pre-made hole they can find.

Since this is in the land of perpetual rain, what about a type of fungus? Just a SWAG.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

MARVIN TOWNSEN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Carpenter bees do not fill their holes back in. The excavate, lay their eggs and move on.

I have seen homeowners fill bee holes back in with sawdust mixed with glue or whatever. What about old Carpenter bee holes that have been used by Mason bees? If I recall Mason bees will use just about any pre-made hole they can find.

Since this is in the land of perpetual rain, what about a type of fungus? Just a SWAG.
    HEY!!!!!!!!!!! I REMEMBER WE HAD SUN ONCE WHEN I WAS A KID, AND WE ONLY GET THAT KIND OF FUNGUS BETWEEN OUR TOES

I have seen this before, including in my wood pile. I just cant remember the name of the insect that does this, I know what they look like. If I remember correctly, they use the wood filler as an insulation to protect their heat during the winter. I am trying to find my pest and dry rot books.

I keep waiting for Rick or one of the other pest control guys to chime in and set us straight ... Rick ... Ron ... any of the pest control guys ... ????

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

MARVIN TOWNSEN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I haven't kept up with my WDO education since I retired from home inspections in 2006, so I'm not quite sure which, but I think it is: 1) Old House Borers; 2) Powder Post Beetles.

I think it is probably Old House Borers.
    Found my book , the description matches round head borers, of which an old house borer is one of the types of round head borers.

Didn't see any evidence of dropped wings around. Also, the holes were inconsistent in their location and could be easily excavated leaving the ambitious homeowner w/ flour n putty filler option out of the question. Also could be masons but some of the holes were too small for their liking.
    The holes match the size of round headed borers but I just couldn't find anything that suggested they pack their holes out. Figured they just "emerged" in a hurry to go reproduce and leave the door wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc V. L. View Post
    The holes match the size of round headed borers but I just couldn't find anything that suggested they pack their holes out.
    http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pubs/pest/hpm6002.pdf

"Their fine powdery excrement or “frass” contains tiny pellets and is tightly packed into the tunnels."

Their frass is very fine and powdery.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com