Jeff Eastman Guest

Default .............

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 11-27-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Philip Desmarais Guest

Default Re: Bonding to panel

I'm going out on a limb here saying that I don't believe the manufacturer intended their equipment to be used in that manner.

If that is the CATV, I think that it needs to be grounded and not bonded. Just like the telephone line. The need to have a grounding rod and then that rod is bonded to the main electrical ground. You will also see it attached to the main grounding conductor in some areas.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

"in this fashion"

Absolutely not!

It needs to be bonded or grounded directly to the grounding electrode system.

Can it be bonded to a component which is grounded to the grounding electrode system? Yes, such as the rigid metal riser.

Do not, however, drive a separate ground rod (and those little metal stakes they drive in are not ground rods, ground rods are in the ground a minimum of 8 feet and at least 1/2" diameter) ... unless that ground rod is bonded back to the grounding electrode system with a grounding electrode conductor of the same size as the main grounding electrode conductor (i.e, not bonded with a small #12 wire).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The diagram at Mike Holt site's lists "service equipment enclosure" as a allowed grounding point, is there a correct (approved) way to perform the attachment to the exterior of the enclosure?