Thread: Condensate

Default Condensate

Why would there be a hole in the plug in secondary condensate. If main becomes plugged water will drain onto furnace components? I was thinking something to do with pressure?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Tom Thompson Guest

Default Re: Condensate

Secondary drains should be piped to exposed safe locations, not plugged. Discharge from piping will indicate a problem with the primary drain. If primary line plug's up and secondary line is plugged the internal drain pan will overflow and leak

Tom, That is for a installation over finished living space. This is in a basement, I should have stated that.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Why would there be a hole in the plug in secondary condensate. If main becomes plugged water will drain onto furnace components? I was thinking something to do with pressure?
    The hole in the center of the secondary fitting is what makes it overflow at a higher water level. If the secondary is not used it should be plugged.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Tom Thompson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Tom, That is for a installation over finished living space. This is in a basement, I should have stated that.
    Dumping any moisture into the crawlspace or areas of accumulation is always a bad idea, moisture attracts all kinds of insects, can contribute to differential settling and facilitate the growth of a variety of molds that can promote unhealthy conditions. Interlocked detector / cutout switch should be used if impracticable to drain the secondary line. The switch cuts off the power supply and stops the system operation as soon as the water starts accumulating. [IRC]

Needs to be plugged!

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa