Default Gas connections at stove

This looks a bit strange, but it appears a 3/4" flex is coming out of the rigid gas pipe and then transitions via a coupler to a 1/2" flex gas pipe. Is this right? I would think that they should have installed the 1/2" gas flex right to the rigid gas pipe at the shut off valve? Additionally there are no sediment traps on this appliance or the water heater or the furnace. Thinking that these issues should also be written up.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Gas connections at stove

You can't couple flexable pipes together. Those also look like uncoated brass which the CPSC has a safety bulletin on http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/5135.pdf

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO

Tom Thompson Guest

Appliance gas connectors have limitations on length, size and locations based upon the demand and appliance served. Most cases connectors are required at minimum to be same size as appliance connection. Range connectors are required 3/4" minimum at 36" max. length. Water heaters and similar 24" maximum. Transition are to be made with flared fittings. No drip legs are required in CA.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Thompson View Post
    Appliance gas connectors have limitations on length, size and locations based upon the demand and appliance served. Most cases connectors are required at minimum to be same size as appliance connection. Range connectors are required 3/4" minimum at 36" max. length. Water heaters and similar 24" maximum. Transition are to be made with flared fittings. No drip legs are required in CA.
    Drip legs or sediment traps?

If a manufacturer says sediment traps are needed it matters not what California says.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Clinton View Post

Any comments would be appreciated.
    T & P Valve dumps onto the floor ( If it leaks as it appears to , puddle or prior evaporation rings on floor.) will it drain out or cause damage to the Structure ?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Tom Thompson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Drip legs or sediment traps?

If a manufacturer says sediment traps are needed it matters not what California says.
    Correct, but I wrote drip legs, sediment traps are dictated by installation instructions. CA. doesn't have problems of excess moisture in gas supplied. Some of the coated connectors have problems with leaks. Connectors can be coupled with proper connectors, but have limits as I described..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Thompson View Post
    Correct, but I wrote drip legs, sediment traps are dictated by installation instructions. CA. doesn't have problems of excess moisture in gas supplied. Some of the coated connectors have problems with leaks. Connectors can be coupled with proper connectors, but have limits as I described..
    I am located in New Mexico. How clean is the gas here, anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Clinton View Post
    I am located in New Mexico. How clean is the gas here, anyone know?
    Kathleen, you need sediment traps at the furnace and water heater. As to the different question about drip legs, maybe, maybe not depending on the amount of moisture in the gas. Contact your gas company and/or your municipal inspector as to weather drip legs are required.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Cool Re: Gas connections at stove

I'm not aware of any mfr that allows splicing of two or more flexible appliance connectors. There is also the max. of 6' before it would be deemed "gas piping" as opposed to "connector".

That old crappy gas shutoff should be replaced with a ball valve listed to ANSI Z21.15. These old valves often stick, leak the handle breaks off. In addition, they have a reduced effective flow cross-sectional area meaning they cause undue flow resistance.

The insulation jacket should be removed. If it slips down, it would block airflow to the pilot and burners, which can cause CO production or fire.

What's going on with the venting?

Should have sediment traps regardless of State code. Both major gas codes call for them as do most mfrs.

What area is this? If garage, why not elevated?
    If finished area adjacent, why no pan?

As for the flex connector recall, that involves brazed ends. You will see a straight end with no corrugation then a spot of yellow brazing filler. Also, there will not be an I.D. ring sliding on the connector of any I'm aware of or stampings on the nuts. HTH,

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Smile Re: Gas connections at stove

California Plumbing Code: 1212.7 Sediment Trap. Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as a part of the gas utilization equipment, a sediment trap shall be installed as close to the inlet of the equipment as practical at the time of equipment installation. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting with a capped nipple in the bottom outlet, as illustrated in Figure 12-1, or other device recognized as an effective sediment trap. Illuminating
    appliances, ranges, clothes dryers, decorative vented appliances for installation in vented fireplaces, gas fireplaces, and outdoor grills shall not be required to be so equipped. [NFPA 54: 9.6.7]

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant