Default Driveway/ Retaining Wall Guard Rail

Came across a guard rail along a driveway, at the top of a 15'+ retaining wall. The client already let me know he was nervous about the cross members attached to the outside of the posts, but I'm wondering how this avoids requiring balusters. Does it?
    Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jerry Harcek; 06-08-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Driveway/ Retaining Wall Guard Rail

Railings are required on porches, balconies, and decks greater than 30" above grade. Retaining walls are walls, not walking paths. Retaining walls are not required to have any kind of railing system. So any railing, however flimsy or inadequately built is fine for the retaining wall according to code.

From a safety viewpoint you could recommend a variety of changes to make it more safe.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

What I see is an safety issue and therefore would have reprted it.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    What I see is an safety issue and therefore would have reprted it.
    Me too...

Jerry

From a vehicle safety standpoint that rail is not going to stop anything larger than a bicycle and would be considered a decorative rail only. Current vehicle guardrail standards are governed by AASHTO.

From a pedestrian safety standpoint if there was a walking path or sidewalk next to the retaining wall then I would recommend upgrading the rail to meet current safety standards for a pedestrian fence.

Technically any attachment to the retaining wall should be designed by an engineer. I would simply state it appears to be a safety issue the new homeowner will have to decide, or his insurance company, what level of safety he wants.

If this is on private property and outside any code jurisdiction then anything goes until someone gets injured.

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com