Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: How many times you seen this?

What's the matter? The post is out of contact with the ground.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Well, I actually own one of those jacks, mine may be the the next size up though. Mine isn't buried in the ground either. My jack is about 3' tall, guessing that one is similar. Maybe they thought the steel jack would make a good footing?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Post Re: How many times you seen this?

I can hear the real estate agents now: "it's been that way for 4,000 years, and it hasn't failed yet! what's the problem?"

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    I can hear the real estate agents now: "it's been that way for 4,000 years, and it hasn't failed yet! what's the problem?"
    LOL, actually...that was said.

Waste of a good jack. A 2 ton car jack would be plenty strong enough.

Sometimes people add posts to take a little bounce out of the floor above, but the span of the joists is fine without the post. Those are things to look for, like ' why?'

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Heres a couple more from the same house..

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I did not think you had anything that old in California between the earth quakes and brush fires this home has stood the test of time.

Steve Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Reilly View Post
    I did not think you had anything that old in California between the earth quakes and brush fires this home has stood the test of time.

Steve Reilly
    Luck can run out eventually.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I do not know if I am blessed or cursed. I use to do quite a few older homes. Now it is all usually 40 and under with the mass majority under 10 years old.

The reason I may look at not doing those older homes anymore is they take up the rest of the work I used to have before the slow down. Since the slow down, the percentage of lost work adds up to about the amount of older homes I once did in Dallas and Fort Worth.

The blessed part is I practically never get the old homes anymore and I am not crawling under the homes or crawling over old knob and tube.

I think a lot of the older homes have been bought up for stupid money and remodeled already and the smaller one folks want a 50 dollar inspector. I had a Realtor whose inspector was away and she wanted me to do a sixty year old crawl and termite for 250. She said I had to do her a favor. I had not heard from her in years...... Not.

I said "Well, the Frenchman that is back in his country right now that is buying the home has to realize their is a difference in currency of his being worth at the least One third more so he won't mind paying a third more for the home inspection plus the cost of a termite inspection" She said, "It is just a little bitty house and their is the language barrier to consider" I told her "the language barrier was her listening and already quoting him a scab price for the home inspection and I was not bailing her out, have a nice day"

Sorry for the drift but the thread is titled "Gotta Love It"