Default "Scorched" breaker handles

Never seen this one before, several breaker handles have a "scorched" appearance; no apparent overheating of attached conductors or any other evidence of over-temperature conditions.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: "Scorched" breaker handles

Both top left V/Br and Br/V and the top right Y/O are apparently MWBCs for convenience receptacles and lighting outlets.

Worrisome conductors to breakers bottom left - identified.

Someone probably got their wires crossed 'n backfed when only one breaker was opened/tripped. Might have been something more. Note that scroud of turin effect on the panel cover door where the panel directory label may have once been zapped.

Probably a convenience receptacle - long since replaced and hopefully a new neutral pulled between, doubtful they've been pigtailed; was rare in your area to have done so even on MWBCs, back then; and most DIYers don't realize they're replacing one on a MWBC to begin with. Notice top of can an unclosed opening - may have pulled the entirety and ran new pipe and pulled new wire for the circuits, reusing scortched breakers..

Still cringe when I see Y pulled in residential esp. in a MWBC, and most esp. passing through a box with lighting/switch loop - DIYers often mistake a Yellow hot to be a yellowed White (N) or vice versa.

MWBCs should be common trip at least handle ties.

Seems a few generations of work, some less than qualified or licensed.

The panel directory and some labeling has been removed.

Would have to remove breakers and view buss.

Right side top five breakers or so appear drooping - as when warped.Breakers themselves should be replaced - cheaper than taking to a facility to fully test them, they're old anyway.

Probably cheaper to swap out the entire panel with a modern one complete with breakers cheap at any box store when the licensed electrical contractor pulls proper other than natural or white insulated conductors for the circuit bottom left and identifies/checks out the circuit conductors and junctions for all, including the 30A bottom R.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-13-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: formatting - lost paragraph breaks.

The "scorched handles" is lube from the breaker innards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    The "scorched handles" is lube from the breaker innards.
    I agree...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Which in and of itself in such obsolete and aged equipment, is sufficient to warrant replacement as recertifying and testing functionality under SC or fault is far more expensive and doubtfully achieved with such vintage equipment displaying such.

Michael,

Offering up the following two articles. I think you're a careful and patient reader, and have the ability to grasp the subject matter, the gravity of the statistical information, and apply it.

You'll have to muddle through some power circuit breaker info, some OSHA and non-residential work environment information, but within you'll find addressed low voltage MCCBs and L&APBs.

Within, you'll find "language" most helpful regarding the issues, as you consider the safety aspects regarding the pictured; and as you form your report and advise your client.

It isn't a "just" consideration - its an indication of worthiness and functionality & ultimately safety.

"Service-Life Evaluations of Low-Voltage Power Circuit Breakers and Molded-Case Circuit Breakers" found at (amongst other locations):

Found at: http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcS...ILE&dID=202837

"Preventative Maintenance and Reliability of Low Voltage Overcurrent Protective Devices", found at (amongst other locations) :

http://www1.cooperbussmann.com/pdf/2...336b695f5d.pdf

Both papers (there are many others, some cited in the referenced, many before and subsequent) are attached for your convenience and personal use.

HGW, Sr. = B.B.O'W

Figure it out.
    Film at 11:00

I don't see why the concern about that panels age. Breakers to fit that panel are commonly available in many stores.

The top 5 breakers on the top right are not warped IMO. The mounting design allowed those breakers a little freedom on the mounting rail and gravity would let the foot slip on the rail. The connection to the buss was fine.

I also believe the "scroud of turin effect" as one called it it actually the adhesive residue from the directory, not from arcing. Notice there is no sign of arcing near the breaker opening.

I would hardly consider adding several hundred dollars if not much more to a job to have the panel replaced to be inconsequental if someone was contracted to pull correctly colored conductors.

Also the requirement for a common trip breaker or handle ties is a recent addition to the NEC. Prior editions only required the handle ties if both hots landed on the same yoke.

Last edited by Jim Port; 06-14-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: added mwbc note.
    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Gerry Bennett Guest

I never thought of the lubricant before. Very interesting. Maybe someone also knows why Cutler Hammer brown handle breakers trip to the fully off position?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Bennett View Post
    I never thought of the lubricant before. Very interesting. Maybe someone also knows why Cutler Hammer brown handle breakers trip to the fully off position?

It's the way they were designed, C-H type CHP (gray handle like the obsolete CHB bolt-on breaker) has the "normal" method of showing a breaker has tripped. Other then the gray handle they (CHP) look the same as the sandalwood colored handle type CH breaker.

Thanks for the comments.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com